Back gesture not working any more in Safari?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by themoffster, Dec 29, 2013.

1. themoffster macrumors regular

This has annoyed me for some time.
    Since upgrading to Mavericks I can't use my back gesture to go back to the previous Safari page. The gesture kinda works in that it does try to do it, but I get an inch or so of the previous page, then the rest of the screen is the old page.

I need to quit safari and restart as it breaks everything. Has anyone had this issue?

2. ufkdo macrumors 6502

I have had this issue just once and hoped it went away with 10.9.1 and Safari 7.0.1. I guess it is still there. The quick way to fix it is to put your computer to sleep, wait for a few seconds and wake it up.

3. neilmacd macrumors 6502

No problems here on any iteration of Mavericks.

Did you upgrade to Mavericks or run a clean install?

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Had this happen to me the other day - I've seen it before on a friend's brand-new MacBook, but I hadn't experienced it on one of my Macs.

Opened up the Console and oddly enough, was getting networking errors every time I tried to use the back gesture.

Cycled WiFi on and off, no improvement, then did a reboot and the problem was gone.

Very odd indeed.

Check the console next time this happens.

5. ufkdo macrumors 6502

Reboot is not needed. Putting the computer to sleep and waking it up in a few seconds solves the issue.

6. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

To be clear, I never said a reboot was required.

I wrote what I did to fix the problem once. I've not had the problem since.

My suggestion to check the console for networking issues stands. Since 10.9.1 has come out and this problem still persists, I suspect that Apple doesn't have enough information to fix the issue.

7. ufkdo macrumors 6502

I understood you but made my comment to clear the things out for the op. Sorry if I caused you any inconvenience.

8. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

Had the same issue. Had to reboot and that seemed to fix it.