Back Glass Discoloration

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vegaspilot, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Vegaspilot, Nov 8, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010

Vegaspilot macrumors regular

I noticed in bright light you can see a lighter area/discoloration in the black color of my iPhone 4's back glass. Kinda looks like it was painted odd or the inside adhesive is coming up. Not sure what it is really. It is in the upper right hand corner. From pictures I've seen of the inside of the glass it looks like it perfectly follows the plastic frame. While it doesn't seem to be hurting anything, I just thought I check if anyone else has anything like this and whether I should consider it a defect or not. The phone is a week 44 and only a few days old. I attached a pic I took with a light on that area to show what I mean. Thanks.
    http://i54.tinypic.com/m94uwh.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Tito Georgie macrumors 6502

Tito Georgie

I bet it's only visible while it's on the direct light. So what's the big deal.

3. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

The big deal is the discoloration on the back of his expensive new phone. Take your defensive fanboy goggles off and have another look.

OP to me it looks like water leaked inside but I'm not even sure if thats possible. I'd get the phone replaced.

4. vachargerfan macrumors regular

I would get it replaced. Once you get it replaced, I suggest ordering this for it next

[​IMG]

5. xraytech macrumors 68030

This reminds me of that joke about the guy who goes to the doctor and tells him,

"My arm hurts every time I do this."

The doctor say,

"Well then, stop doing that then."

Sorry couldn't help myself. XD If it really is an issue, get it replaced. What will probably happen is Apple will swap out the back plate. Easy peasy.

6. rawCpoppa macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Lmao

7. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

Looking at iFixit's website, the marks on your back panel look like they correspond to the underlying components (vibrator, screws, etc).

I'm certainly not an engineer, but something there looks amiss. I'd take it in to Apple for a look/back panel replacement.

8. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

I'm gonna take it to Apple this evening. See what they say about it.

9. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

10. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

hope you don't get laugh out of the store.

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

That's a good idea.

I've always found the genius bar to be helpful, and quite candid. After reading your post, I did a very close inspection of mine and see nothing of consequence. Perhaps there is something about yours that merits replacement.

Good Luck.

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Genius: Hey how may I help you vegaspilot?

vegaspilot: Well, I notice discoloration on my back glass panel whenever I expose my iPhone 4 to a direct powerful beam of light...

Genius: Is that so? Hmmm, well Dr. vegaspilot, how often does your iPhone 4 get exposed to such violent light?

vegaspilot: Idk, I guess every time I want to know what is wrong with my iPhone I guess..

Genius: Well, see, that is not covered under warranty. If I may ask, do you know what OCD is?

vegaspilot: No.

Genius: Hmm. Ok.

awkward silence...

vegaspilot: Can I haz new iPhone 4 plz?

Genius: No

13. madKIR macrumors 6502a

What an insult!!!
    I'm so sorry to hear that!
    Don't give up. Try other stores or, even better, call the AppleCare. Explain your situation and make them send you a new phone first. (It would be $30 without an AppleCare protection plan and free with one).

14. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

I know I'm awfully picky about my phones, but for the money and carrier contract, I think we have a right to be. It's not my fault that Apple seems to have great inconsistencies in their build quality. In many ways I think the 4 is worse than the 3GS (not that the 3GS was great and no phone is perfect, but I kinda expect some consistency). I only asked to see if maybe I wasn't the only one. If it's on the majority of them then no big deal, but if mine is the only one, then I want to know why. It just amazes me the d!cks some people can become on a forum board when they get defensive about a product...whatever. :rolleyes:

15. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

People just ain't no good---Nick Cave
    I'm sure if it was their's it would be a different story.
    I'm sure Apple will take care of you. Its not supposed to be like that. Period.

16. madKIR macrumors 6502a

I'm with you on this one! Being on my fifth replacement I know how you feel.
    Actually, I was cursing the day I decided to upgrade to the iPhone 4. I also had a bad experience at a genius bar: I replicated the issue, but they didn't want to replace my phone, AppleCare helped me.
    And now that my MacBook Pro mid-2010 crashed (hard drive), I feel like Apple is having a very very bad year.

17. JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

Forget the Genius Bar go see a therapist.

18. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

I had typed out a long reply to this one but then I just said ****** it! It's not even worth the letters.

19. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

yeah further proof that we need an OCD/cosmetics subforum

you and amino man should get a thread started for all your "findings"

20. Reefbone macrumors regular

Legitimate question here people. This is exactly the place to inquire about iPhone defects.

I don't understand why people bother taking the time to call someone OCD and generally berate them. I've noticed an increasing tred on the board to do so lately.

How about just riolling your eyes and moving on to the next post people?

Mods... if you deleted some these unhelpful comments people might stop making them.

21. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

well my iphone has syphilis but you dont see me complaining and making a thread about it. You need to learn to embrace its problems.

22. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

you sir, made me laugh my ass off

23. vachargerfan macrumors regular

You don't think that only seeing a problem with the phone by directly shining a light on it might be a tad bit excessive? I am sure that my phone has some sort of cosmetic defect on it, but I am not actively searching it out nor would it bother me if it did (unless it was a cracked glass panel after opening the box). It is just a cell phone after all. Not like it is a 100K Aston Martin or anything

24. Vegaspilot thread starter macrumors regular

The flash light was for the picture only. It's quite noticeable outside during day light or inside with lights on.

25. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

just curious, when using the iPhone, do you use it from the back or the front where the screen is?