Back light bleeding

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gil22, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gil22 macrumors member

Have a appointment at apple soon, would you say this deserves a replacement or is this normal?

Noticable bleed at 100% brightness in only a semidark room...

noticable bleed at 50% brightness in a totally dark room

2. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

I walked into Apple today just to look around but decided to show them the bleeding on my screen. I got a new one handed to me right out of the box. I asked the genius to compare the two to see if the new one was better or not affected. She came back to say that the new one was much better.

After getting home, It's clear that the one that was replaced was in much better shape. I wish I had just kept it. But now I'm going to wait a few months for this thing to get worked out. Then I'll go get a replacement.

3. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

4. Gil22 thread starter macrumors member

Yea i'm worried about that too and since they have all their stores lit up like a sun tanning booth there is no way for us to check. He did say mine had more leakage than the demo and would hold one from the next shipment for me. I'll proably follow your lead and take one shot now and then wait a few months if its a miss.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

If it is like he iPad 1 it will never get worked out. Some are worst than others and I have to admit that I have never tried to use my device at over 50% brightness and never in a totally dark room. 100% brightness in a dark room ir OCD.:eek:

6. Gil22 thread starter macrumors member

I found I like to keep mine around 75% and my eyes are drawn to the leakage during normal use in a "warm lighted" room but the guy did say mine was worse than the demo.

7. Gil22 thread starter macrumors member

I was on the fence for exchanging so if the new one is even slightly better I may just call it a success if they are all like this

8. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

I think you should wait, depending on how bad it is of course. On the one I returned, it was really a small spot in the top right corner, with two smaller spots above the home button. And you're right about the lighting in the store. Don't get me wrong, the replacement still is nowhere near as bad as some of the pics I've seen in the "bleeding backlight" thread, but I think I should have just had the situation noted instead of getting it replaced.

On another note, the girl behind the counter told me the line about acceptable flaws in LCD screens. It's understandable if a small number of folks are experiencing the issue, but I bet that every single ipad 2 has it.

And one more thing....If it wasn't for macrumors, I bet that I never would've noticed the problem to begin with. Sometimes being unaware is better in my opinion.

9. Gil22 thread starter macrumors member

Not me, I found this searching about the issue I noticed first....I agree they probably all have it to some degree but mine was pretty bad....not awful but distracting

10. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

Yeah, OCD is right. I'm not that by any means. We'll see if it gets resolved down the road. The issue doesn't bother me that much.

11. Gil22 thread starter macrumors member

It wouldn't bother me if I knew it was normal and they all had it but I think mine leans towards a device that just made it past qa

12. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

When you go down there to get the replacement, see if they'll let you go in the back or at least where the light is lower. If not, ask the genius to take both ipads into the back and compare the two of them. That should, at least, ensure that you don't get one that's worse off.

13. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

What the heck are you talking about w/iPad 1 screens. Since when did these develop problems never fixed?

14. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

I brought mine in today and after the 'Genius' told me he advised I wait and it would go away and they have very limited inventory for these situations, I told him I wanted to exchange and he gave me a brand new iPad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.