Back metal plate: Anyone know?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Vigilante, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Well, I am getting really tired of the texture and look of my scratched backplate for my iPod Touch. I was looking to replace it, so I was just wondering if anyone knew the thickness of the plate? I know it's a long shot, but I'm sure someone has a link somewhere or has taken apart their iPod Touch. I know I'm going to get a response or two about how I should check it myself, but I really don't want to void the warranty or cause any damages until I know the backplate is something I can replace safely.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Although this doesn't help your specific question: a while ago there was a guy who had an easy way of giving the back of an iPod a brush metal appearance that got rid of all the scratches. It looked very nice IMO. Sorry I don't have a link but google is your friend.

3. Vigilante thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

It's seriously under $25.00 for a backplate? Wow, that is much easier than what I was planning on doing, which was carving it out of a plastic block. Thanks for the link.

4. Vigilante thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

I think that was just scrubbing the back with a brillo pad. :)

5. henchosbandito macrumors member

i did that with my first iPod. My advice would be to only do it once you have had your ipod for a while. Ok, you dont see the scratches you originally had but to give the back of your (i would imagine fairly new) iPod a complete brushed metal look could be something you may regret after a couple of weeks ;)

6. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

When I first saw the back of my Touch a few weeks ago, I could not believe they built it that way (chrome finish). A brushed metal(!!!) or some dark color would have made more sense. I guess they are in co-hoots with the companies that make the protective cases. (kinda like where I am convinced that the temporary seating chairs they have for our large meeting room here at work were designed by and built by the manufacturers of Doans' Pills)

Mike

7. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

why is that so important to you. If you get a new one its still going to scratch. If in a case the back will still scratch.

8. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

When you get a new one, get an invisible shield! I did, and I don't have a single scratch on the back, or front, and never will. Just my suggestion.

9. Vigilante thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

I got mine the first day they were out. :) I should have gotten a protective cover or something, but I didn't know how easy it was to scratch it at first. Funny thing is, what annoys me the most while holding it is the white raised type itself, so maybe I'll just scratch that off and keep my current. Has anyone had their back painted? On the iPod, I mean.

10. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

You can get them painted at colorwarepc.com, pretty pricey though

11. Vigilante thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Apparently painting the back or scratching the back voids the warranty. Meh.

12. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I don't think scratching the back voids the warranty. But taking it apart and putting on a replacement back surely will.

These things are not easy to get apart.

13. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Doing the brushed metal modification looks amazing and it is free! I did it on my 3rd gen iPod and loved it.

14. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

Fix it, and get an invisible shield. I have used 3 on 3 separate ipods. They are beautiful, and your ipod will look BRAND NEW years from the day you put it on.

Duh. Its a no brainer.

15. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

If scratching the back of the iPod voided the warranty then almost every iPod owner wouldn't be able to get it serviced by Apple...it would be more accurate to say scratching isn't covered by warranty, meaning Apple isn't going to just give you a new iPod just because you scratched the back of it, it has to have obvious hardware defects.

16. Dudeman486 macrumors member

+1 to the invisible shield. You should go to ifixit.com and look at their stuff. if you want to service any mac products in any way, they are the people to check out. although their parts are a bit pricey, so shop elsewhere.

17. Moocher macrumors regular

18. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Why are you afraid of voiding your warranty? (unless you have the 2 year extended Applecare - which honestly shouldn't exist on iPods, because of the constant updates-), your warranty will be up in a few weeks anyway since they have been released for almost a year now. So it's not like you are losing much...

I would just get a new back plate and then get an IS to put on it. Or you can just scratch the back and make it look like brushed aluminum, which looks great btw. I did that with my iPod video and so did my friend. He still has his and it looks good. I'm thinking about doing it to my current touch.

19. Vigilante thread starter macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Scratching the serial code off the back, I'm sorry. They have to be able to identify that the one you are sending in for repairs is the one you originally purchased. And to Mr.50centrulez, I wanted to get a battery replacement.