Back of iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Ktm.Moto, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Ktm.Moto macrumors member

Do you guys put a film on the back of your 4? I am getting a case for it and don't want to scratch the back of it. Can I run it naked under the case, or should I put a film on the back? Thanks guys!

2. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

I have one on mine specifically to prevent scratching the aft, case or otherwise.

3. wildrage macrumors member

I'm rolling with one as well, too, although it's not really that necessary. The glass on the back of these phones is only $29 to replace.

4. kicko macrumors 65816

I left mine on too simply because it fit fine with the case on. I was curious to know what cases do not allow rear protectors. I assume things like an incase slider and etc.

what cases did you guys use? i'm using an belkin vue, I'm a fan of the TPU material.

5. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I use a Gelaskin. More for the look than protection though.

6. thepyro395 macrumors member

thepyro395

Probally the ifrogs cases dont protect the glass well either.

7. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

I have a matte skin on the back to prevent fingerprints and oil build up when holding the phone. Works great as it also gives you a better grip.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Just go naked for the back. If you scratch it up that badly, just get an OEM replacement on ebay for $20. It's cheaper than buying a brand name case.

9. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

I put a cheap eBay protector on the back and could not be happier with it. I rocked my phone in a case since day one last June and about a week ago I switched to naked :eek: I put eBay protectors on the front and back so I could at least set it down worry free and seriously could not be happier. I'm debating taking the front off and leaving the back on (the bare glass is pure bliss). IMO, buy some cheap eBay protectors and slap one on the back.

10. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

FYI, all of the cheap ebay backs are not oem. even worse, they all use plastic lenses for the camera port, resulting in artifacts when the flash is used during photography.

11. Ktm.Moto thread starter macrumors member

12. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Even this?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320570231023&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It looks pretty legitimate--all glass. Wondering if anyone bought this before.

I'm not talking about the cheap plastic ones that ship directly from Hong Kong.

13. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

yes, even that. the font is ever so slightly wrong and the lens over the camera port will be plastic. i've bought 2 for ~$40 each only to find them to both be just poor quality ripoffs.

and at the price they charge for the ripoffs, you're better off just getting the back replaced at an apple store for only $29.

i'll photograph an ebay "OEM glass" back alongside a real one when i get home later tonight.

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Oh that's really good to know. I was going to plunk down the cash for one this summer actually.

I'd love to see the comparison pics when you get them too. Appreciate it, thanks! :)

15. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

bah. didnt come out very well since i lent out my flash so i had to try using the built-in unit. i may mess with them in photoshop later but tonight im a bit burnt out and cant really be bothered.

Attached Files:

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Thanks.

Ah, I see what you mean about the font. You're right, you can tell right away.

I'm guessing the fake one is on the right? Those tricksters on ebay must have taken picture of the real glass back, then flipped over the fake one for a pic of the other side.

17. Roadking macrumors 6502

18. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

yep.

i didnt try to be sneaky by swapping sides when i flipped them over.

19. wildrage macrumors member

Ok, then buy an OEM back INSTALLED at any Apple store for $29 lol...

20. JohnBossu macrumors member

Im using mirror screen protector for the back and Im sorta think it looks cheap. but still functional as a mirror so I will keep it that way