Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ktm.Moto

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Do you guys put a film on the back of your 4? I am getting a case for it and don't want to scratch the back of it. Can I run it naked under the case, or should I put a film on the back? Thanks guys!

wildrage

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2011
I'm rolling with one as well, too, although it's not really that necessary. The glass on the back of these phones is only $29 to replace.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I left mine on too simply because it fit fine with the case on. I was curious to know what cases do not allow rear protectors. I assume things like an incase slider and etc.

what cases did you guys use? i'm using an belkin vue, I'm a fan of the TPU material.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Just go naked for the back. If you scratch it up that badly, just get an OEM replacement on ebay for $20. It's cheaper than buying a brand name case.

NWI73

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
I put a cheap eBay protector on the back and could not be happier with it. I rocked my phone in a case since day one last June and about a week ago I switched to naked :eek: I put eBay protectors on the front and back so I could at least set it down worry free and seriously could not be happier. I'm debating taking the front off and leaving the back on (the bare glass is pure bliss). IMO, buy some cheap eBay protectors and slap one on the back.

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
Just go naked for the back. If you scratch it up that badly, just get an OEM replacement on ebay for $20. It's cheaper than buying a brand name case.

FYI, all of the cheap ebay backs are not oem. even worse, they all use plastic lenses for the camera port, resulting in artifacts when the flash is used during photography.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
Even this?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320570231023&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It looks pretty legitimate--all glass. Wondering if anyone bought this before.

I'm not talking about the cheap plastic ones that ship directly from Hong Kong.

yes, even that. the font is ever so slightly wrong and the lens over the camera port will be plastic. i've bought 2 for ~$40 each only to find them to both be just poor quality ripoffs.

and at the price they charge for the ripoffs, you're better off just getting the back replaced at an apple store for only $29.

i'll photograph an ebay "OEM glass" back alongside a real one when i get home later tonight.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
yes, even that. the font is ever so slightly wrong and the lens over the camera port will be plastic. i've bought 2 for ~$40 each only to find them to both be just poor quality ripoffs.

and at the price they charge for the ripoffs, you're better off just getting the back replaced at an apple store for only $29.

i'll photograph an ebay "OEM glass" back alongside a real one when i get home later tonight.

Oh that's really good to know. I was going to plunk down the cash for one this summer actually.

I'd love to see the comparison pics when you get them too. Appreciate it, thanks! :)

oakie

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
seattle
Oh that's really good to know. I was going to plunk down the cash for one this summer actually.

I'd love to see the comparison pics when you get them too. Appreciate it, thanks! :)

bah. didnt come out very well since i lent out my flash so i had to try using the built-in unit. i may mess with them in photoshop later but tonight im a bit burnt out and cant really be bothered.

Attachments

• DSC_0017.JPG
    DSC_0017.JPG
    931.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0018.JPG
    DSC_0018.JPG
    905.2 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    959.2 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC_0020.JPG
    DSC_0020.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 92

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
bah. didnt come out very well since i lent out my flash so i had to try using the built-in unit. i may mess with them in photoshop later but tonight im a bit burnt out and cant really be bothered.

Thanks.

Ah, I see what you mean about the font. You're right, you can tell right away.

I'm guessing the fake one is on the right? Those tricksters on ebay must have taken picture of the real glass back, then flipped over the fake one for a pic of the other side.

wildrage

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2011
FYI, all of the cheap ebay backs are not oem. even worse, they all use plastic lenses for the camera port, resulting in artifacts when the flash is used during photography.

Ok, then buy an OEM back INSTALLED at any Apple store for $29 lol...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.