Back-Ordered iPhone 4S, what phone to use while waiting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jagooch, Nov 19, 2011.

1. jagooch macrumors regular

jagooch

I'm returning to the US from a contract job overseas in about a week. I've almost got everything set up, except for a phone to replace my currently carrier-locked Softbank 3GS. I've ordered a 4S, but it might not show up for a week or 2 after I arrive in the US.

Since I give everyone my Google Voice number anyway, I don't care about number portability.

Some options I read about are TracPhone and T-Mobile prepaid phones. Does AT&T still sell a gophone? Now that I think about it, an AT&T compatible phone might be best as a back-up phone if the 4S gets damaged.

Any recommendations based on your personal experience?

2. BoleCailey macrumors member

Who did you order it from? AT&T or Apple? I went into my AT&T store today to order a black 4S 32 gig and it will be here Tuesday. They said one day shipping on the 32 but because it is Saturday, it will be Tuesday.

3. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

AT&T still sells go phones starting at $9.99

4. tremlock macrumors 6502a

tremlock

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

AT&T still sells go phones starting at $9.99

5. jagooch thread starter macrumors regular

jagooch

I ordered it from AT&T, the site says due to lack of availability the product will ship in 7-21 days. Since I'm not in the US for another week, I ordered it online.

Even then, it would be best to have a phone right away as I scheduled cable modem and other service installations the day I move into my apartment. They always call ahead to make sure you are there before they arrive. if I don't have some kind of phone to map google voice to, they might assume no ones home nd not show up.

The day after I move in I start my new job, and it would be nice to have a phobe to call them with in case I'm going to be late, need directions , or whatever.

6. jagooch thread starter macrumors regular

jagooch

Nice! I'll probable go with the Pantech since the keyboard is texting-friendly. :)