iPad Back Shells For iPad Air 2 - Any Out There Yet?

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
I'm ordering an iPad Air 2 tonight to replace my old iPad 3.

I need a detachable cover, so the official Apple case is out.

Anyone know if any iPad Air 2 back shells are out in the wild for sale yet? I'm traveling in Hong Kong and can scour the local shops if that's the case.

BJ

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I've ordered this through Amazon, but it's not in stock till 10/24. I can't find any other back shells or covers available yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OFQC46I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The thing that sucks with this one and a lot of them is that by being Smart Cover compatible it's got an ugly cutout. I don't see it in the pic but pretty sure it's there. I too am looking for a shell only case, don't know why it seems too much to ask for.

jm5309

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I'm looking for the same thing. I always order a smart cover just as an alternative, but my favorite cases are always back shell cases. I loved the Belkin Grip Vue for the first iPad, and the Speck Candyshell for the Mini was great too. I'm sure there will be more options if we wait just a bit longer.

Last edited:

bornjr

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2011
Virginia
I'm using the Caudabe hard shell on my Air with a Smart Cover and love it. I sent them a tweet asking when it would be available for the Air 2, and they just said "soon"