Back Skin Killing WiFi Connection?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by OPTICS, Jan 20, 2013.

1. OPTICS macrumors newbie

So I bought a Vapor 5 aluminum bumper off eBay a week ago and it arrived yesterday. I put it on and experienced no signal loss throughout the day. At the end of the day, I decided to use a carbon fiber back skin that came with the case. I soon noticed that my wifi connection was at 2 bars. I've never seen my wifi connection have 2 bars before. Its always 3. So today I decided to do a test. Tested it many times with and without the back skin. No bumper during all tests.

Here are 6 tests, I'm sure you can figure which three results had the skin on.

Middle column: Download
    Right Column: Upload

[​IMG]

Is this common? I didn't think a back skin protecter would do that. The back skin protector is pretty thick though.

2. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

3. wxman2003 Suspended

You can do that too just by wrapping your hand around the iphone and covering the wifi antenna.

4. OPTICS thread starter macrumors newbie

Does your hand adhere to the back of the iPhone and prevents scratches? Theres no wrapping involved here. This is just the back of the phone, not the sides.

5. archrider macrumors 6502a

archrider

Real carbon fiber is not radio transparent. The bottom glass panel in the back covers the WIFI antenna. Element case manufacturer stopped providing a carbon fiber back with their cases because of this and provided a refund for those already sold. I think you will also find your GPS degraded. It's antenna is under the top glass panel. You can trim the carbon fiber back at top and bottom to remedy this problem.

6. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Yeah but the antennas are the glass panels on the back.

7. Bulldog Dave macrumors member

Same thing happened to me.Bought a sector5 case from element put a carbon fiber back on mine and wifi dropped like a hammer.Took it off worked fine,put it back on dropped again.Carbon is conductive so with it on completed circuit between antennas.Cant use them if you want wifi and GPS to work right.Put swade back on works fine.

8. OPTICS thread starter macrumors newbie

I know its not real carbon fiber, I just the said its a carbon fiber skin because that was the only way to describe it. I already threw it away, but thanks for letting me know.

9. Partridge macrumors 6502

He means that even your hand on the back of the phone will affect wifi. Not that you should use your hand to protect your phone from scratches.

Sheesh.