Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I ordered a black and natural iPhone 15 Pro to see which color I like more and I noticed something strange - the back of the black iPhone is smooth whereas on the natural one it feels a bit coarse. Has anyone else felt this?

thatJohann

macrumors 68000
Jul 5, 2013
NYC
Black looks hot AF, but every black titanium unit I saw at the Apple Store had chips on the paint and scratches showing the natural color underneath. None of the natural titanium units had chips on the paint. Durability plays a factor.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Black looks hot AF, but every black titanium unit I saw at the Apple Store had chips on the paint and scratches showing the natural color underneath. None of the natural titanium units had chips on the paint. Durability plays a factor.
Yeah, as soon as I heard of paint problems I cancelled my order and switched to looking for the Natural. It's weird that Apple didn't test the durability of their coating and that it's such a big problem. This is a rookie-level mistake.

Apple_Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2023
The problem is that its the store disply units and those gets touched and abused by customers everyday who touch them and what not. I even seen natural titanium with scratches showing and chips as well but of course less pronounced than the darker models.

I have my blue titanium and got it on launch day and still looks good as new out of the box. Plus i keep my phone in my case. Surely if it wasn’t in the case im sure it would have some wear and tear.

Reactions: nxt3 and BugeyeSTI

sviato

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
I’m not referring to the metal frame but the back glass itself, have you noticed a difference on the glass?
I’ve felt similarly about the blue vs the natural, particularly the bands: blue feels noticeably smoother to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.