Back to 7.1.1?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by mavis, Jun 7, 2014.

?

Did you revert to 7.1.1?

1. Still on iOS8

54 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. Back on 7.1.1 (after clean install of iOS8)

13 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Back on 7.1.1 (after upgrade/restore install of iOS8)

19 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. Back on 7.1.1 (tried both clean install and upgrade/restore)

10 vote(s)
    10.4%
  1. mavis, Jun 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014

mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Just wondering how many of you have gone back to 7.1.1? If you downgraded, why?

In my case, I first tried a clean install followed by a restore of my 7.1.1 data; the constant iCloud login prompts and occasional resprings led me to go back to 7.1.1 ... After that I tried a clean install and set up as a new phone, but half of my bookmarks were missing so I then restored 7.1.1 and tried an upgrade. Again, iCloud login prompts and occasional resprings led me to go back to 7.1.1.

How is everyone else faring?

2. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm back on 7.1.1. LED alerts aren't working on iOS 8 beta 1 and I need it too because I use a wallet type case that closes over the screen.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Funny, I was going to start a similar poll. I can tolerate the resprings and native app crashes, but without LastPass it's cumbersome to enter all the passwords to get everything set up on the phone (including apps). Also when I need passwords on the PC/Mac/AppleTV/etc.

I could have lived with it, but there isn't anything compelling enough in iOS 8 to make me put up with the quirks. There are some good new features, but no must-haves for me.

5. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Just about fifty-fifty ... TBH I'm kind of surprised so many people are sticking it out!

6. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

Don't really understand what you mean by sticking it out. I am having a better time with iOS 8 than iOS 7. iMessage is better, better battery life, I can see whats using the battery, weather app is finally for real, bluetooth is better, call reception is better.......ios 8 beta 1 is better than 7.1.1

7. campyguy macrumors 68040

I reverted my VZW iPad Air and an iPhone 5 back. Several apps I use access Safari - they just weren't loading. A couple of apps I use were looking for ads to load, then just crashed. And two apps (and the Settings app) weren't always loading the keyboard when in portrait mode.

So much of iOS 8 is a step in the right direction. I'll load it again when B2 comes out.

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

Still on iOS 8 on 5S and retina mini alls well!

9. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

I guess it depends on how you use your phone. For example, I have about a hundred text shortcuts synced between both of my Macs and three iOS devices, many of which I use on a daily basis. All three times I tried iOS8, they were gone - and the few that I re-input were also gone after subsequent iOS8 installs (meaning they never actually synced to iCloud) ... Then there were the constant login prompts after rebooting (which, unfortunately, I have to do several times a day due to my job), the random lockups and resprings, and finally, the fact that the website I use to check train schedules (hyperdia.co.jp) froze Safari for some reason, every time I tried to look up a station name. :(

So for me, "sticking it out" means putting up with all of that, plus the other it's-a-beta bugs. I ran iOS7 betas right from day one last year, and never downgraded back to 6.X, so for me this year seems like a pretty big step backwards, in terms of stability. Just my opinion, of course ...

10. Ke1ington macrumors 6502a

Ke1ington

I tried going back but somehow all of my backups from 7.1.1 are missing. I have one backup from about a month ago and when I restored to that there was no actual data loaded so practically a clean install.

So here I am on iOS 8 with no option to go back unless I want to lose everything.

11. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

That happened to me back with iOS4 beta, I think - really sucks, in any case. When I've done since then is to not only back up before installing betas but also compress the backup so that it can't be overwritten by iTunes or whatever. So I've got my 5s_pre8.zip and my rMini_pre8.zip in there with my iTunes backups, ready to go in case I somehow lose the actual backup. I know it's too late now, but, you know - for iOS9 or something. ;)

12. thegrants82 macrumors 65816

I'm doing a heck of a lot more than that with is on my 5s.....you need to try a clean install.

13. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Believe me, I did. When I did a clean install none of text shortcuts synced, only about 1/3 of my Safari bookmarks synced (weird, right?), and the website I mentioned earlier crashed whenever I tried to look up train times. Oh, and the iCloud login prompt after every reboot. So not only did doing a clean install not help, it actually made things worse (the Safari bookmark problem).

14. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

The clean install on my 5s (after restoring from iCloud the first time) really made a HUGE HUGE difference. Strangely, my iPad mini (first gen) is pretty stable on iOS 8 but my 5s was a mess. It truly rebooted itself every time I woke it up. There were an incredible amount of bugs in it... really unusable. If the clean install didn't work I would have went backward.

However, I knew it wasn't the iOS because my mini works great. I have been restoring from backups since the 2nd generation of iPhones and I'm sure I've been carrying around a ton of baggage. I've been tempted to do a clean install for a few years but I finally decided it was time. Something was clearly wrong.

The cool thing this time around was that after restoring (before clean install) I waited until all of my photos were restored from the iCloud backup, then I switched to have it use the iCloud albums so it re-uploaded them all, thousands of photos, to the cloud. As a result of doing this, when I did the clean install & switched on iCloud albums, it all just showed up on the 5s, just like it should. The only thing I really lost that was kinda sad was my messages... tons and tons.... YEARS worth of messages. The upside is, of course, I have a ton of free room on my 64 gig phone. :)

15. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

I had to roll back... my 5S battery was draining at about 1% per minute and the phone got crazy hot. On top of that, the majority of my apps were crashing my phone and making the whole experience too difficult.

I'll try again on Beta 2. The stuff that DID work, I really enjoyed.

16. apple.snapple macrumors regular

I also went back to 7.1.1.

I tried my hardest to stick it out, but I use my 5C nearly every minute of my working day. I was having issues where I couldn't pick up the call, couldn't hang up the call, or hang up the facetime call. Like, the button just wouldn't register my finger press. The other person would hang up but the call would still appear active on my screen. I have to power off the phone to hang up the call.

Common system apps would simply crash constantly... safari being the main offender.

The "hey siri" function didn't work with my Chevy Volt. I could engage, but she couldn't hear anything. All I got was "I didn't quite catch that" over and over.

Camera app would hang and crash.

I'm still waiting patiently for Beta 2 and to check the changelog to see if my issues were addressed. If so, I'll go back.

17. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I was frantically texting someone one day, and the phone kept freezing, hanging repeatedly. I can't deal with that :(

18. ajiuo macrumors 65816

What do you mean the weather app if for real? I can't even open it.. It crashes springboard.

19. Looneyk macrumors newbie

Can someone help me out with a good 7.1.1 (cdma) download, please?

20. HeyKatie macrumors 6502

Ill be going back as soon as I get home tonight extremely poor battery life and music app keeps crashing and that's the app that I use the most.

21. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

iOS 8.0 beta is a release for DEVELOPERS.

This isn't some sneak-peek preview meant for general use.

22. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

I guess that's why Apple only makes it available on the iOS Developer Center site. Thanks.

23. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Reverted back to 7.1.1 on my iPad mini. As expected, beta 1 is just too buggy and laggy to run on a daily driver device.

24. mavis thread starter macrumors 68040

mavis

Hopefully b2 is better. I'll be trying it as soon as it's released!! :)