Back to Mac - any chance for a Mac Pro Jr?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mauka, Oct 19, 2010.

1. mauka macrumors member

mauka

My Mac Pro runs dual G4 CPUs and cost me 2K back in the day. It mostly sits now and my daily computer is a mac mini. Wouldn't it be grand if tomorrow's Back to Mac event unveiled a new mid line i5-i7 tower with dual graphics (like power books) priced in the 1-1.5K range. Well I'm wishing. :rolleyes:

Alan

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You're not the only one. Someone made a thread about this same topic yesterday.

It's very unlikely that it will happen.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I wouldn't hold my breath for that one. I think there is zero chance of it. A Mac Pro Jr. I suppose would be considered the iMac.

4. C. Alan macrumors 6502

I think we have all been dreaming of this machine for years. So keep dreaming...

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

As the base Mac Pro has the performance of the higher end of mid-range consumer Intel systems and costs $2500 I doubt it.

6. mauka thread starter macrumors member

mauka

Alan C. - what are your Hackintosh specs?

Yeah I know it's not likely to happen, but then again Apple can keep a secret... :p

C. Alan, I'd be interested to know what your Hackintosh hardware and OS specs are. I have thought about building one, but but the sites I Google up seem out of date, with most articles dated 2009 or older. And from what I have read the two biggest problems (for me) with a Hackintosh are the inability to get OS updates and they can't run the Xcode SDK.

It would be fun to build one inside my old dual G4 tower and if nothing else it would be faster running Handbrake then my mini is.

Alan

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4235

There is one build that is comparable to low-end Mac Pro but costs a lot less.

8. G2244 macrumors member

G2244

Wow, everyone seems so beat down from the history of this not being real it is kind of sad. It is a rumor site so I will start us off ;):

EDIT: Let's go with a newer one:
    AMD Athlon II X4 615e (2.5 GHz) and a cool 45W TDP so it can be kept quiet like Steve likes them.

9. Lyshen macrumors 6502

That would be really ground breaking if Apple all of a sudden incorporated the use of AMD like that.

10. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

the 'mid-size xMac' comes up before every Apple event and it has never surfaced in over a decade. Considering the iMac + Mac Pro are their smallest profit group I don't think there is room in there for a new model.

11. mauka thread starter macrumors member

mauka

Thanks HellHammer!

For the link to tonymacx86.

Appears that Hackintosh's are alive and well after all. I'm going to price out some components for my budget and wait to see what Apple has for us tomorrow. Right now it's looking like a new version of X, iLife, and maybe a MacBook Air. If that's all there is then Hackintosh is Go!

Alan

12. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It had more credibility when the choices were a dual processor workstation or a dual core all in one with mobile components. Now the iMac has mid-range desktop components and the Mac Pro starts with high-end desktop components and they overlap. If the current Mac Pro's didn't have that $1,000+ premium over what the hardware can be purchased for in component form this argument wouldn't exist.

13. G4er? macrumors 6502a

Not likely since there is no room to add anything inside of an iMac. Some people bring up the Cube as a reason there will never be a mini tower. But a lot has changed since the Cube. With the mini the Cube doesn't seem too small anymore does it? The Cube suffered not because of its size but because of its limitations and price.
    Imagine a new Cube. Room for two internal hard drives and an optical drive. You can still play any CDs or DVDs you bought before high speed internet came along. And lots of people still don't have it. With a slide out tray that holds the RAM. Ports and jacks and a card reader on front where you can reach them. On top you have two docks for your iPhone and iPods. Maybe even make it big enough to have two speakers so you can listen to the music you have on your iPod. Make the speakers functional even when the computer is off. There are lots of alarm clocks and radios that dock so why not a computer? What better place to charge your portable Apple devices than on top of you Apple computer?
    Having all these features a new Mac "Cube" would be a full fledged computer and fully equipped media center. If there was a Mac that let me easily charge and hold portable devices I might just buy some portable devices.

14. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

No. Apple is a poor, struggling former computer company and can't afford to allow it's customers to buy an affordable $1K i7 tower from them. They would go out of business and there would be mass cultist, fanboi and zombie suicides around the world. :(

15. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

Hold off until the "Back to the mac" event. If Apple doesn't talk about an affordable desktop, then just get an iMac, laptop, or PC. It's only 1 more day.

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That does sound like a cool concept for a mid-level computer. I like the idea of multiple iOS dock ports right on it.

17. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

18. RebootD macrumors 6502a

RebootD

Trust me I wish they did, but it hasn't happened and now with desktop sales so low, I doubt we will see anything.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Between slim and none, and oh by the way slim left town ;)

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I heard they were doing one with a chicklet keyboard and add-on memory modules.

21. monaarts macrumors 65816

22. G4er? macrumors 6502a

Some may disagree with the redundancy of being able to play music from your iPod while docked to your computer (you have the same music on the computer) but if you aren't using the computer why have it on just to play what's on your iPod too. Sort of a "green idea" I suppose. Less power used by not having the computer on.
    Likewise some may say it is useless to have an optical drive on a new computer but I don't see the need to spend time ripping what I already own on physical media just so I can watch what I already can watch. And if I were going to rip them I'd still need an optical drive to do it so might as well have it built in.

23. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

24. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Actually its called an iMac ;)