Back to Mac! anyone got it to work

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joshwest, Oct 29, 2007.

1. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

Hey Guys this was my favorite feature yet i cant get it to work. I have both turned on and my .mac signed in on both machines what the heck?

2. wngraham macrumors regular

I've had it working on both my iMac G5 and Macbook immediately after installation.

3. joshwest thread starter macrumors 65816

joshwest

well not I

4. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

What is your home router?

5. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I'm also having trouble with it, and wonder if I need to open up some ports on my Belkin router?

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I got it to work sort of. It was considerably slow. However, you either need an Apple AirPort Extreme router or a router that supports UPNP. UPNP must be turned on for the feature to work properly. Security Experts hate UPNP as it's not very secure by design. That's one of the reasons Apple created their own specific version of UPNP for their AirPort routers.

7. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I have an Airport Extreme router, and I have it set up according to what Apple states is required for Back to my Mac. Yet I do not see my home Mac Mini appearing. The Mini has .Mac AND Back to my mac enabled, as does the MacBook pro.

Come on Apple, this feels like Microsoft!

8. unity macrumors 6502a

Apple is currently adding functionality to accommodate different modem configurations. This was posted on the site.

Part of it is to do with sub nets. If you have Airport distributing IPS as 10.0.0.X but you DSL/Cable IP is XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX then there can be a hick-up.

But thats one scenario. The other is Firewalls on the client side. MANY DSL providers are enabling hardware firewalls by default now. Login to your modem and correct it, maybe even turn it off temporarily.

9. eme jota ce macrumors regular

I have a similar setup (mini at home behind and extreme (802.11n giga)) and it works for me.

One thing I saw on the Apple site was to sign out of .mac on each machine, then sign back in and enable "Back to My Mac" after signing back in...
    System Preferences -> .Mac -> Sign Out -> close SP
    System Preferences -> .Mac -> Sign IN

10. un1ty macrumors member

I had problems setting up my Back to my Mac, but I finally got it working. I have the newest AEBS connected to an ATT 2wire.

A few things you should make sure to do to get it running. Make sure NAT is checked on your Airport Utility under "Internet". Also, log in and out of your .mac, turn on and off you Back to my Mac preference, and make sure File Sharing is turned on. Also, enable Automatic syncing.

What finally made my BMM work for me was to run my Airport under Bridge Mode. Hope that helps.

This is an amazing feature, can't wait to use it more! Between this, Screen Sharing, and Time Machine, it totally makes Leopard worth the price. Btw, I got .mac just for this feature.

11. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have yet to get it to work ... I even tried getting it to work on machines that are on the same LAN, no luck.

I am just about to give up on it.