Back to Mac Screen Sharing Question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mic j, Jul 17, 2014.

1. mic j macrumors 68030

I am doing screen sharing between 2 MacBooks using Back to Mac screen sharing. Works fine...maybe too fine. I can actually do screen sharing while one of them has it's lid closed. Is this normal? I thought the compute went to sleep when the lid is closed and would make it unavailable for screen sharing.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Look in the Energy Saber pane of System Prefs. You probably have wake for network access checked and that allows it to wake up when a screen share request comes in.

3. mic j thread starter macrumors 68030

Even with the lid closed? I thought it wouldn't do anything with the lid closed.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It can. Closing the lid just puts it to sleep. You can still wake with wake on LAN.

5. mic j thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for that info. Didn't realize that. I wonder why the aTV can't access iTunes with the lid closed? That would be a nice ability.

6. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Works that way for me.

A.

7. mic j thread starter macrumors 68030

Interesting. I could swear that in the past, as soon as I closed the lid to the MBP running iTunes, the aTV would lose access to anything accessed through "Computer". I am running Mavericks and that may have changed things. The other thing is that the MBP running iTunes is an early 2009 model vs the other MBP (able to be screen shared with lid closed) is a mid 2012 model. I will have to check this all out.

Thanks, everyone for your input.