Back to Mac security settings?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by stanw, May 26, 2014.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

In order to use Back to Mac, I need to turn on Screen and File Sharing. I want to make sure that turning these on will not compromise the security of my Macs. I did not change any of the default settings that were enabled when I turned thees on.

1. What settings should I be concerned with looking into for security reasons?

2. Does Screen Sharing and File Sharing need to be turned on on both Macs or only on one of them?

3. I also just noticed that when I went to Go > Network that I am able to access all of the files on my other Mac. Is this part of Back to Mac, or is this on now because I turned on File Sharing?

Thanks in advance.

2. impaler macrumors 6502

Turn on your firewall and enable stealth mode. Also, when not on a home, trusted network, I check "Block All Incoming Conenctions" to ensure I'm not broadcasting screen and file sharing, and turn them off as well.

3. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

You only have to enable Screen Sharing to use BTMM to remote in.

File Sharing only if you want to see a list of shared files on the remote computer from within your Finder window.

Even when just screen sharing a remote Mac, you can drag and drop files across them.