Back To MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kaiwai, Jul 6, 2008.

1. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

Hi,

I'm looking at moving back to MacBook Pro - however, I'd like to know what their reliability is like and whether I'm better off going for a MacBook.

I'm a student, and I'll probably play games as well as doing the usual study; I'm interested in a dedicated GPU primarily for the logevity of being able to use it for the long term.

With that being said, I've weighed, and I could purchase a low end iMac and MacBook, and use my iMac for games and my laptop for class work and university. The difference is only a matter of a few hundred btw.

What would you guys suggest? the second option is looking very tempting btw - the games I'd play would be Civilization etc. Nothing like shoot-em-up and demanding massive fps.

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I went from a 24" iMac and MacBook to a 15.4" MacBook Pro. I did this because I wanted a more powerful laptop (in terms of GPU - longevity being the reason for me, as well) and I intend to buy a Mac Pro as my primary machine.

So far, my MBP is as effective a desktop as my iMac and a much better laptop them my Gen 1 (Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo) MacBook.

3. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

Hmm, I would say Macbook for school / taking notes/ course work. Then for the gaming rig, just build a PC. You can get a great gaming PC for about $700-900. If you dont want to have a PC then maybe the MBP would be a good choice.

4. B1rdman macrumors newbie

^ Great advice. Listen to this guy! Desktop PCs are a much better value for gaming (better component value and cooling) if you want to go the 2 computer route. Otherwise, just MBP as he said.

5. Kyouya macrumors member

Macbook Pro was always satisfying for me, gaming wise. I've got Neverwinter Nights, Doom III, X3, Age of Empires, CIV, NFS, EUIII and many other games along with abandonware installed. Also, Diablo III and Starcraft are on their way. PC's definitely have larger library gaming-wise but OSX basically have everything I'd play on a laptop/desktop. For everything else I have my PS3.

6. bigp9998 macrumors regular

I definitely agree with the 2-computer route. You could get a very solid gaming PC with a monitor for far less than what an iMac would cost. You could connect the MacBook to the external monitor if you feel like using OSX on a bigger screen, and you could just use the PC solely for gaming. Both machines would last you years.

7. gravee macrumors newbie

what you could do is get the 50 dollar upgrade to the 250 gig harddrive and upgrade your ram to 4 gigs (assuming your getting the 2.4 mbp. that would probably make for a pretty good gaming laptop. just saying, that is my plan and i plan on playing a few games. Also, if you did want 2 seperate computers, go for the macbook and build urself a decent gaming rig. either way i think you'll be happy

-alex :apple: