Back to Mavericks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheLion01, Feb 22, 2015.

1. TheLion01 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a late 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina-display 13-inch, that came with OS X Mavericks pre-installed.
    I upgraded to Yosemite when it came out.

I have only 4GB RAM and somethimes when I have a lot programs open, I have to close programs because of the RAM. My question is: Do Mavericks handle RAM better than Yosemite? And is it worth it to downgrade to Mavericks?

TheLion01

2. chabig macrumors 68040

Yosemite should run fine with 4GB. What problem symptoms does your Mac have that makes you think you have to close programs?

3. TheLion01 thread starter macrumors newbie

My Mac runs slower when I have a lot of programs open. It isn't a big problem but I just want to get the most out of my hardware. I read on the internet that Mavericks runs beter than Yosemite on machines with 4GB RAM.

4. chabig macrumors 68040

Your perceived slowness may not be due to RAM. It could be because you're asking the machine to do a lot at once. If you really do thinknits RAM related, why not add some RAM for $50 and see what happens? It the OS is paging to disk, a slow drive could also by the culprit. Adding an SSD makes a night and day difference.

5. SSD-GUY, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015

SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Just go into internet recovery.

Link - http://osxdaily.com/2014/12/14/reinstall-os-x-mac-internet-recovery/

----------

He has a Retina MBP which already has one of the fastest SSDs available right now.