Back To My Mac: Anyone get it to work over the net?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Soundhound, May 30, 2008.

1. Soundhound macrumors 6502a

I can't. It works fine on my home network, an apple extreme and several expresses. But over the net it doesn't work at all. I've tried both from work, and also by logging on to my neighbor's airport network. in both cases, the icon for my home iMac disappears.

I downloaded the guide from the Apple site for BTMM and followed the instructions, but nothing seems to work.

Anybody have any luck with this? t

2. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

It works perfect for me when I'm away from home. I keep my MBP my partners MB and my dads iMac all connected with BTMM. the only problem I've had is my cousins PowerBook does not show up. I dont know why. It is the only powerpc mac that is connected. Maybe that has something to do with it.

3. kostia macrumors regular

It did not work for me when I had a Linksys router. It does work for me now that I have an AirPort Extreme router instead.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Don't know what bit of help I can offer but for me it works just great IF all Macs are signed into the same .Mac account.

I setup my moms MB and took it to work, I see my iMac at home (wirelessly connected to a Linksys router) I also see my wife's MB when she turns it on (also wirelessly connected to a Linksys router).

I can browse the machines and screenshare as well.

When we went to Florida to deliver my mom's MB I connected to my iMac at home in Georgia to show her a few things and to pull some files and it was as expected, a little choppy but totally usable.

I never followed any 'guide' getting mine setup. Maybe (not sure if they mention it) check your sharing permissions, ensure the .Mac pref pane is showing 'signed in' etc.

Also, I have a single person .Mac account not a family account. Right now, my mom's MB is on and I can see it from Georgia, freaked her out when I went to screen share and started moving her mouse, she called me a few mins ago to tell me to "Stop IT!" :p

5. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you know how you do that? Under .mac in prefs I don't see any options for changing which .mac account your mac is logged into?? I can get get my .mac email on both macs, so I figured they're both logged in... arg!

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Under system preferences, click on .Mac (globe icon) and on the first tab is where you sign into your .mac account.

7. Soundhound thread starter macrumors 6502a

yup, when I go there, it says 'Signed in to .Mac' THough I don't actually see anyway to sign in. There is a button below, which says 'Account Details'. If you click to that you are sent to the .mac web page, where you have to sign in to change passwords etc.

Where do you actually sign that particular computer into your .mac account.

I'm so confused. :(

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Under Accounts, make sure you have something for (under your username when your account is selected) .Mac User Name.

Once you've ensured something is there, go back to .mac and make sure your 'signed in' and on your 'back to my mac' tab has back to my mac enabled.

Make sure (not sure if it's all totally needed but let's be safe here) that's done for any machines you have accounts on.

9. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

kkat69, what options in the "Sharing" permissions do you/your mother have checked so that Back to My Mac works? I would guess Screen Sharing, but what about some of the others? Just wondering since I haven't been able to get it to work correctly either.

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

She just has screen and file.

11. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thanks, kkat69. I'm going to see if I can get this to work now that you've helped me!

12. GratefulMed macrumors newbie

Routers matter

My prior reading on this tells me that you need routers at both ends of the link to allow BTMM to work. Not all do, even if you have the right options checked. My Linksys compact router didn't allow it while an older Linksys 54G did allow it. My Time Capsule works. The router at work allows it to work as well while other outside routers I access do not. You also still have to have the right sharing options checked in your preferences and need all computers logged into the same .Mac account.

13. CyberBob859 macrumors 6502

CyberBob859

Ditto for me, except I'm using a Time Capsule. Couldn't get it to work at all on a Linksys WRT54G, even with the same firmware tested by Apple.

14. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

I can see my home iMac when I have my MB at work, and when i had it at a friends house the other night, but I couldn't connect to it. I tried to connect to server via the Finder --> Go menu and in the Finder window but still nothing. iChat doesn't work either from home to my brother's house.

15. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Check your sharing permissions.

I've got one of those linksys speedbooster 54g routers, it's not N, and I can connect via work (cisco router), my parents house (netgear) and I gotta tell you, it's worth the price IMO for the .mac service just to be able to do this.

I know you can use VNC software to screenshare as long as you set the checkbox and password via screenshare permissions, but for me it's pretty easy to call up files, etc.

I was troubleshooting my mom's mb getting her ichat, yahoo, etc working, I screenshared my machine, launched the apps to connect, did ichat with my imac at home, remoted to my wife's mb to accept chat, then on my moms mb, connect to try out the 3way ichat, was great.