Back to My Mac = Back to the drawing board

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ClassicBean, Nov 8, 2007.

1. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I can't get Back to my Mac to work properly.

In theory, my setup should make the process seamless. My home computer is connected to an airport extreme base station. All appropriate types of connections are active (NAT, etc).

So I tried connecting from a wireless hotspot. Didn't work.

Then, I tried connecting from a friend's network. My home computer wasn't immediately recognized. I had to sign out of .Mac and sign back into it 3 or 4 times from system preferences before my home machine showed up in the finder (I did some research and found that this helped).

Unfortunately, upon clicking my iMac in the finder, nothing would happen. Then, after a few minutes, I'd get a message saying "Connection Failed". Screen Sharing was also a bust.

I tried this on another network. Didn't work.

I should add that I file and screen sharing work great while on the same network. It's just Back to my Mac.

Anybody have experience making Back to my Mac work?

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have given up on the feature. I tried for a few hours to get it to work, then realized I was trying to solve a problem that didn't need to be solved. I already have VPN access to my home network and I always know the name of it thanks to dyndns.

3. ClassicBean thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is the one Leopard feature that I was actually excited about. Finally, my overpriced, under-featured .Mac subscription would prove to have some value.

Shame I can't get it to work.

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

is this hard to setup, do I need anything special. Any links would be great.

I've only tried back to my mac once and couldn't get it to work.

5. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I don't think it works. Apple clearly has a lot of work to do on Leopard.

Please feel free to blame Leopard's shortcomings and delays to the iPhone. I sure do. :mad:

6. ClassicBean thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree. There is no reason why it should exhibit so many problems (not seeing my home computer, seeing it after a few restarts, etc, etc). Kinda ridiculous. I'm switching to Vista.

On a side-note, I love spaces. I find it especially useful for running Windows via Fusion (or Parallels if you fancy it, which I did until I discovered the vastly superior Fusion).

I just move the fusion window to a dedicated space, make it full screen, and move in and out of it by navigating spaces (control + space #)

It's amazing.

7. Lunettes macrumors newbie

I can't get it working too.

Guess I'll have to wait for 10.5.1...
    That's a shame.

8. John Musbach macrumors regular

9. dborja macrumors 6502a

It's working fine here. Check your settings in "System Preferences" under .Mac; there's a "Back to My Mac" tab. Also, see link by previous poster.

10. Hadley macrumors member

i dont get why anyone would switch to vista because leopard isnt up to their standards? 10.4 still works fine, and its not windows.

I love leopard. it has made working on my computer so much easier and productive with spaces alone.

11. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

I have enabled UPnP on my Belkin router, just like the above-referenced Apple support doc says to.

I am often able to see my home Mac Pro in the Shared area of the finder sidebar when I'm out in about, but clicking to connect just results in an error message about 15 or 20 seconds later.

I'm using Comcast as an ISP.

12. CPPhoto macrumors member

on the .mac support page they have a box saying that its the router compatibility that is the problem and they are working on it.

i tried to do it using my sprint express card and my home network, and no go on it..

i think this stuff should have been figured out long before loepard was released, but, oh well, still a strong OS