BACK TO MY MAC doesn't work

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lahamus@mac.com, Dec 14, 2007.

1. lahamus@mac.com macrumors newbie

HI I have a macbook pro and a brand new iMac - the most powerful model. I have high speed internet connections with cable connection to my iMac and Airport to my laptop. I cannot get either to allow back to my mac access. Any ideas or similar experiences solved out there?

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

You don't really give enough information to determine what you're not setting correctly, but I have the opposite problem. When I'm on the road, I see way too many other Macs & Windows machines in my Shared list.

If you set up both machines correctly (and remember, both have to have .Mac accounts), I can't even begin to guess what the issue might be.

3. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Back to my Mac was sketchy with 10.5.0 - in fact it barely worked.

10.5.1 seemed to fix that. So make sure you've done a software update.

Then, make sure Back to my Mac is set to 'On' under the .Mac pane of System Preferences. Also, click Sharing Preferences while you're in there to ensure that screen and file sharing are both selected.

This should be done on both machines. And of course, both machines need to be on so make sure any energy savings preferences are set to Anti-Kyoto.

If you still have issues, I don't know what to tell you. If you are trying from a Starbucks or something it's possible that they're blocking some sort of port maybe?

Who even knows? Perhaps Santa Claus, Hanukkah Harry or Kwanzaa Steve.

4. lahamus@mac.com thread starter macrumors newbie

back to my mac

thanks for your replies. I am using them from my home and office. Both computers are on 10.5.1. I downloaded the guide for back to my mac and have done everything they indicate except I can't get into my airport base station to turn on the NAP - I think that is what is called. For some reason my Airport utilities can't find my base station?? Ironically I am running the internet off the airport, which is working fine.

5. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The other problem may be the router you are trying to access your home network from. I have the unholy problem of working for a company that hasn't purchased good technology since the telephone, so the router there is outdated and I can't access it from any machine. Since I can't configure it, I can't set it up to use Back to My Mac.