Back-to-my Mac....doesn't!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flyguy451, Jul 1, 2008.

1. flyguy451 macrumors regular

When I try to use Back-to-my-Mac while away from my home network I get the following message;

I don't really understand what the problem is or how to fix it, any advice?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

That means you have a double NAT.

I had this problem with my DSL modem, but even resolving the double NAT by putting the modem into transparent bridging mode, it wouldn't work. I gave up & went back to Comcast cable internet.

3. flyguy451 thread starter macrumors regular

PeggyD, thanks for the link. This means that the problem lies with my iMac back home and not with my Macbook on-the-road, right? I'll follow the instructions when I get home and try it again.

4. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

Yes. Often you have two (or more) routers between your home Mac & the internet. In my case my DSL modem is also a router, but sometimes users have a wired router & an AirPort. I wasn't able to just turn NAT off on one or the other as the article suggests without losing my internet connection entirely. Turning on transparent bridging on the modem made it just a modem, like a cable modem usually doesn't have router capabilities.

5. flyguy451 thread starter macrumors regular

PeggyD;

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this. I'm not sure I understand your last sentence but it doesn't matter right now as I'm on the road and can't try it anyways. At home I have cable service internet with the cable modem of course and connected to that is my Airport Express. I use the AE for both my iMac and my Macbook. The support link you provided seems clear enough and I'll follow that when I get home - should fix the problem.

D