Back to my Mac. Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TheBigMac, Apr 15, 2008.

1. TheBigMac macrumors newbie

I have taken the plunge on a trial for .Mac, however I'm having trouble getting back to my mac working.

I'm using an Intel iMac connected to a Netgear DG834G router via ethernet, along with an Intel MacBook.

I've enabled back to my mac and screen and file sharing on both Mac's and back to my mac works fine when I'm in the house on the local network.

If I am using the MacBook away from home on a wireless internet connection then my iMac won't appear in the finder sidebar at all.

A look around Apples support site suggests using an Airport base station but it's quite expensive and doesn't come with an adsl modem.

Also it does not list the Netgear DG834G router on the list of tested devices, but it is still UPnP enabled so I can't believe that it is the sole cause of the issue.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

yours are not isolated problems. I have the same conectivity issues when my "back to my Mac" computers are on different networks.

supposedly 10.5.3 dev releases are working on some of these issues.

3. TheBigMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info.

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

You might need to open some ports on your router / set up a rule forwarding some incoming ports to specific computers. I don't know your router but have a look at Game/application sharing. Also maybe set the router to always give each computer the same home NAT address. (192.168.x.xxx)

I have UPnP disabled on mine, it never seems to work properly anyway.

5. Zeos macrumors 6502

I have an Airport Time Capsule, and I still have the exact same issues you're describing. I plan on calling AppleCare this weekend and will let you know what I find out.

6. mitchbvi macrumors newbie

Routers and Apple Airport Express or Extreme

I to am having the same problems and of course it is not easy to check. countless hours with people on the Genius bar has not resolved it. My query with Apple directly has been escalated to the next level but three days later no reply.
    However from what I have been told it may be a problem with your router even with an airport express. for instance I discovered that what I thought was a simple modem that my airport express connected to was a router. I tried disabling NAT on it but no luck so I put my Airport Express into bridge mode again no luck. The problem I think in this case is two units (router and Airport Express) issuing IP address at the same time. With Airport Express in bridge mode it is acting as a dumb terminal.
    Mitch

7. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

Did anyone find out an solution for this?

I'm having the same issue. I have a alum imac and a mba and everything works fine when i'm at home. I have time capsule at home. I have an airport express at work and my imac doesn't show up in the finder like it's supposed to. I have sharing enabled on both machines and obviously back to my mac is on on both machines.

8. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I would say that if everything works fine when you're at home (and therefore inside the firewall) but doesn't work away from home (and therefore outside the firewall) that the firewall is most definitely your issue.

Without knowing what router or firewall you have, it's pretty much impossible to tell you how to fix it, but you should try enabling uPnP.

I am running a DLink 802.11G broadband router and have my iMac behind that and can see my iMac easily from my office many miles away. Granted that it's very laggy, but I can certainly do anything I want to my home machine from anywhere else.

It does work, I promise you, but firewalls are finicky things at the best of times.

Make sure that your router/firewall has the latest updates too.

Good luck.

Cheers.