Back to My Mac is killing me (iMac->AEBS(n)->Comcast | Comcast <-AEBS(n)<-MacBook)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by theodd, Nov 8, 2007.

1. theodd macrumors newbie

Is Back to My Mac driving anyone else insane? I’ve been working on this for several days now and I can’t for the life of me get it to work. Here is my setup.

Home
    Computer - Silver 2.8 ghz iMac
    Router - AEBS(n)
    Provider – Comcast

GF’s House (two blocks away from home)
    Computer – 2.0 ghz Core Duo (launch) MacBook
    Router - AEBS(n)
    Provider – Comcast

So, as you can see the computers are the only variables between the two locations. I made sure the NAT setting was active on both AEBS’s but have not messed with any port forwarding or anything like that. Both computers have the exact same settings in B2mM and in sharing prefs (screen sharing enabled, file sharing enabled, B2mM turned on, logged in to .Mac syncing on both machines, set to auto sync, etc).

The very first night I installed Leopard on both machines I headed over to my girlfriend’s house to test B2mM. It worked flawlessly. Finder on my MacBook instantly saw my iMac back at home. I was able to grab files and screen share. That was the last time the feature would work for me though.

Since then I have had numerous problems. For the first few days the Silver iMac would not even show up in Finder even though I had not changed anything. But for the last few days I can consistently see my iMac in Finder. I just can’t connect. I get two different errors. Usually I see the “connect as” and the “screen sharing” buttons in Finder but the connection just times out when I try to actually connect. Last night, however, the iMac showed up in Finder and when I tried to clicked on it I would get a message “connected as VNC” and only the “screen sharing” button would be there. Of course, I wasn’t connected as NUTTIN’ because I couldn’t browse the files or screen share.

So, does anyone have a fix for this? Am I missing something? I would think that I have the best case scenario collection of gear here. Comcast is the only non-Apple link in the chain. Is it the .Mac service? Why was I able to connect that first night and not since then? Are the .Mac B2mM servers down?

B2mM was one of my main reasons for upgrading to Leopard. I have a million things I want to use it for. So far Leopard has been great but this one botched feature is killing me.

Thanks!

2. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

I got an email from Apple today "announcing Back to My Mac". SO I took my Macbook to my parents and gave it a try again. It finally WORKS! In fact, it works GREAT!