Back to My Mac is pretty slick

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TSloper74, May 2, 2015.

1. TSloper74 macrumors member

I finally got around to trying out Back to My Mac now that I have both the MBR and MBPR. I can see it being very useful for those rare times when you really need to higher performance but can't access the machine. You can access both the screen and file system of your machine back at home so there isn't much you can't do while away.

I'm using a RT-AC68R router with UPNP enabled.

Tim

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Leaving UPNP enabled on a router is a very bad security practice with known vulnerabilities.

3. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

That's just for people in your home though, right? It's not for people trying to access your router through the WAN port from the internet.

4. TSloper74 thread starter macrumors member

It's a trade off like anything else. Security vs convenience... there isn't a one size fits all answer. If I was protecting something that absolutely no one else should find or see then yeah I agree that UPNP probably shouldn't be on. But if you are average Joe with no secrets that just wants to have things work with minimal headache then does it really matter?

There are also other mechanisms available to protect your stuff even if someone were to get past the firewall.

5. MyopicPaideia macrumors 68000

MyopicPaideia

You mean an average Joe with cached credit card numbers in their browser?

Let's see if we can figure out which IP address you're logging in from #

Better safe than sorry, will have to agree with Brand on this one - opening yourself to unnecessary risk there...

6. TSloper74 thread starter macrumors member

Did you get my IP address? Do you yet have my credit card information? I think you are over generalizing. Not all routers today are out there responding to WAN UPnP requests. At that point an open port is an open port... whether opened by UPnP or you. If you are ignorant enough to run potentially damaging programs on your LAN machines then is UPnP really your biggest problem?

BTW... why was this moved. It was posted for the benefit of those considering using both the MB and MBP or other higher performance MAC. I've missed the anal retentiveness of the IT types.