Back to My Mac: MacBook not found?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mcdj, Mar 8, 2017.

1. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I often connect to my headless home Mac Mini via my MacBook 12 through Back to My Mac. Any time I change wifi networks (switching between home and my office), the Mac Mini in the sidebar under "Shared" becomes inaccessible. The Mac Mini "can not be found".

One workaround is to navigate in the finder to Network, where upon clicking the Mac Mini seen there works as expected. The other method is to turn off wifi and turn it back on. This refreshes the sidebar share list.

My question is, is this by design? Why should changing wifi networks effect connecting to a Back to My Mac enabled computer, with a fixed IP and MAC address? The system clearly knows where to find the Mini...why doesn't the shared computers list update automatically when switching wifi networks?

Bug? Oversight? Or is something wrong with my machine(s) or setup?

TIA

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

The Share button is just for Internal networks! When you are outside your network try a Connect to Server setup or VPN.

3. mcdj thread starter macrumors 604

mcdj

Wish there was a way to keep the Mac on my sidebar somewhere else.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

When you first mount a disk drag that disk to the right side of your Dock to make a quick connect! Plus if you save that password just clicking a Dock icon will make that connection automatically!