back to my mac problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kjs862, Nov 18, 2007.

1. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

I got back to my mac to work when both computers are on the same network, but when they are on different networks I can't seem to get it to work.

Any ideas?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

computers must be on the same network range (i.e 192.168.0.9>192.168.0.255) so that they can talk to each other. thats probably the reason why they cannot talk, because they aren't on the same network.

what exactly were u trying to do?

3. kjs862 thread starter macrumors 65816

kjs862

I thought you were able to from another network that is over the internet.

"Access and control your Mac running Mac OS X Leopard from any other Leopard-based Mac over the Internet — right in the new Finder. With .Mac and Back to My Mac, you’re always close to your files and applications."

Didn't think you had to be on the same netowork

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

on an intranet you'd have to be on the same network... my bad i wasnt sure of your situation.

uumm to access your mac or documents youd have to have a .mac account, how exactly are you trying to control them?? view the screens? look at the hard drive?

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It's nothing you are doing wrong. Back to my Mac does not work at all. on the support page Apple said they are working on it. But really it is starting to sound like you will have to be admin to other networks. The way it sounds is that you will have to make sure that the router is updated to the latest firmware and adjust some settings into it. All this of course would make the whole concept worthless. I really hope Apple gets this together. I have been paying too much money for too long for my .mac account and am bothered that I can not get all this stuff that Apple is promising.

6. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Yeah, it doesn't work for me, either. Apple claims it now works better in 10.5.1, so I'll give it a try tomorrow when I'm at school. It's a shame, too, as it's a very useful thing to take advantage of, and I wouldn't have to pay monthly for a third party service like GoToMyPC.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Well the coffee shop I go to uses a linksys wireless router (have no idea what one) and we have a T3 and 2 T1s at work running from qwest. In 10.5.1 I still get nothing. So, sadly I don't think you will notice any change at school in the morning.

8. NightStorm macrumors 68000

My first guess would be that you have a configuration issue on your router/firewall that is preventing you from seeing your home Mac. So far, I've had no problems with B2MM except for an occasional screen sharing freeze (that was fixed by closing/reopening the desktop window).

Your problems could also be your IT department at work not allowing access through the corporate firewall. I know that I cannot access my home Mac from work because of this.

9. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Maybe this is it. :(

I can access the work computer from home, but not the home from work. It's a bit of a shame, but I'll live I guess. Kind of defeats the whole thing though.

Maybe my home router has a port closed? Which ports might I need to open? I think it's a bit silly really.

10. MacBlackBook22 macrumors 6502

MacBlackBook22

Originally I had that same result. My home computer could connect to the roaming one but not the other way round. So I fixed that by deleting them both from .mac and reset them this time doing the away one first then the setting up the home one second and this did the trick the away computer has no problem now connecting to the home one from anywhere I take it