Back to my mac - screen sharing is working, but not file sharing

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Chparigi, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Chparigi macrumors member

Hi everyone.

I recently got a Airport Extreme Time Capsule, connected through the router provided by my ISP, but as the DHCP and NAT-server. After setting it up, i found out about back to my mac, and i found it super useful how easy it was, compared to my old setup with a dyndns-account, and only being able to connect to one computer before having to change the setup.

But here is the weird thing: screen sharing works just fine no matter where i connect from, but file-sharing doesn't work at all. I have port 80 forwarded to my NAS, but on the overview of ports used by back to my mac, that shouldn't interfere with it. What am i doing wrong?

Best regards
    Christian

2. Mac Write macrumors member

Back to my Mac only works on your Mac not your NAS and only with AFP/SMB file sharing on your Mac. So if your trying to use Back to my Mac to connect to your NAS it won't work.

3. Chparigi thread starter macrumors member

That's why i opened pot 80 for my NAS, so that i externally could access my files using a webdav protocol :)

So Im only talking about my Airport Extreme, Mac mini and Macbook air. I can access screen sharing on my macbook air, my mac mini, and i can access the files on my time-capsule externally, but not my macs? I i have turned both external log-in and file-sharing on...

4. Chparigi thread starter macrumors member

I tried a few things, but without success:

I removed the port forwarding on port 80. No results so far...
    I gave all my macs static IP's - no results so far.

And of course file sharing is turned on, so i really don't know what to do..

5. mattdeezy macrumors member