MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

One woman has found Apple's Back To My Mac feature (part of .Mac) to be extremely useful in helping to capture a pair of laptop thieves.

Police say the woman got a call from a friend asking if she was online.
The victim said no and was told by the friend that her computer showed her as being on the Internet.

At that point the victim signed onto another computer and used the "Back to My Mac" program to determine that her stolen MacIntosh laptop was on the Web.

She then used the stolen computer's camera to photograph [one of the suspects].

Police have made two arrests and have recovered most of the $5,000 worth of electronics stolen from the woman's apartment in late April.

Article Link

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
So she shared her screen and launched photo booth, then copied the files over... great, but if someone was sat there and saw that happening they'd surely be smart enough to disconnect from the network... although obviously in this case they weren't. Lucky break.

Comment

lee1210

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
Dallas, TX
So she shared her screen and launched photo booth, then copied the files over... great, but if someone was sat there and saw that happening they'd surely be smart enough to disconnect from the network... although obviously in this case they weren't. Lucky break.

If she already had screen-sharing going, as soon as she got an app open that displayed input from the camera she could get a screenshot, she wouldn't need to have the remote machine take a picture, then transfer it someplace. If she was quick it would be hard to disconnect as soon as Photobooth, etc. opened.

-Lee

Comment

iancapable

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2006
London, United Kingdom
If she already had screen-sharing going, as soon as she got an app open that displayed input from the camera she could get a screenshot, she wouldn't need to have the remote machine take a picture, then transfer it someplace. If she was quick it would be hard to disconnect as soon as Photobooth, etc. opened.

-Lee

Like most computer users, the theif probably didn't even realise what was happening and smiled for the camera!

Comment

LimeiBook86

macrumors 604
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I thought this was using the program Undercover when I first heard of it. I saw this on the news they described the person "hacking" into their Mac. Hah! :D I don't get it - I can't get Back To My Mac working with optimal network settings yet it works through a random Wi-Fi hotspot? :rolleyes:

Glad they got their laptop back though! :p

Comment

Twilight Elk

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
Arizona
This headline has actually made my day :)

On a side note; people who just take electronic stuff probably don't even know how to use it and just try to resell it or something.

Comment

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Glad they got caught, I wish there was more anti theft built into computers. Thieves Suck

Comment

ikir

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2007
Cool :) Happy ending story.

Ah guys check UNDERCOVER! It rocks.

Comment

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Undercover

Cool :) Happy ending story.

Ah guys check UNDERCOVER! It rocks.

Undercover is the better-than-LoJack solution for the Mac - Works in the background so you don't have to.................

Comment

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Read about this a while back, but the thief hadn't been caught at the time.

Within a couple days, the owners were able to assemble a full profile of information on the stolen laptop user as he signed into a hookup sites, read his Gmail messages, and shopped on eBay for… a police scanner. They discovered his birth date, mother’s maiden name, email address, Comcast IP address, and were able to use Photo Booth to take a snapshot that was clear enough to read the lettering of his tattoos.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The guys must normally be Windows users.

I mean, what person who's used to Mac computers would expect a program to launch itself and take a picture of you? (I used Windows for the first time just the other day in boot camp to play the Orange Box. OMG, it's like Microsoft tries to piss you off. "Your computer will reset in 5 minutes." WTF? I'm playing a game! I'm having fun! I don't even want my software updated because I'm not going to ever even let Windows connect to my network! Oh, and every time I start up Windows it thinks my EyeTV is new hardware and it insists on trying to find some drivers for it. So now it doesn't seem to unreasonable for it to try taking a picture of me for no apparent reason either.)

Comment

StuBeck

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
The guys must normally be Windows users.

I mean, what person who's used to Mac computers would expect a program to launch itself and take a picture of you? (I used Windows for the first time just the other day in boot camp to play the Orange Box. OMG, it's like Microsoft tries to piss you off. "Your computer will reset in 5 minutes." WTF? I'm playing a game! I'm having fun! I don't even want my software updated because I'm not going to ever even let Windows connect to my network! Oh, and every time I start up Windows it thinks my EyeTV is new hardware and it insists on trying to find some drivers for it. So now it doesn't seem to unreasonable for it to try taking a picture of me for no apparent reason either.)

Your impressions of Windows and its users are inaccurate.

Comment

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
Your impressions of Windows and its users are inaccurate.

Yea, but what reasonable OS would Force you to restart your computer because it wanted to update your software (automatically, no less)? When I first saw that dialog in Windows I couldn't believe it was actually serious... But then the computer "End Task"'d everything and restarted, with my jaws hanging... I remember once it didn't even give you the option to delay the restart... And another time I wasn't even at my computer... when I came back it was at the log in screen and all my progs had been closed...

I love my Mac :cool:

Comment

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
This is great news!

If this isn't a good enough reason for a Mac Laptop owner to buy .Mac, I don't know what is.

Great :)

If I had a Macbook, I know I'd definitely be getting .Mac now...

well, maybe after June :p

Comment

AndrewDorsett

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2005
Back to my Mac?

Great news, now if I could only get my MBP to connect to my PB when I'm not at home. Does back to my mac work when the home computer is connected to a wireless router or does it have to be hard wired to the internet?

A

Comment

Quillz

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Yea, but what reasonable OS would Force you to restart your computer because it wanted to update your software (automatically, no less)? When I first saw that dialog in Windows I couldn't believe it was actually serious... But then the computer "End Task"'d everything and restarted, with my jaws hanging... I remember once it didn't even give you the option to delay the restart... And another time I wasn't even at my computer... when I came back it was at the log in screen and all my progs had been closed...

Windows never forces you to restart your computer. You can always postpone the automatic restart. I recall once (and I believe it was after installing a service pack), that it was going to automatically restart within 10 minutes or so, but even then, there was still a cancel command you could have clicked.

Also, you have to occasionally restart your Mac, too.

Comment

izibo

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2004
if they format your computer neither lojack or underground works right?

But, if you put a firmware password on your system, they wont be able to boot off an install disc in order to wipe the drive. This is especially true in the new MBA since you can't take it apart and change the RAM to try and disable the password check.

Comment

k2spitfire88

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2008
in your mind
Windows never forces you to restart your computer. You can always postpone the automatic restart. I recall once (and I believe it was after installing a service pack), that it was going to automatically restart within 10 minutes or so, but even then, there was still a cancel command you could have clicked. .

But it just comes up again in like 2 min, so it's annoying, and won't go away until you restart.

This is pretty sweet tho. .Mac seems like it would be worth it for a laptop.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Also, you have to occasionally restart your Mac, too.

Yeah, but it only tells you that it wants to restart once.

If you tell it "later" then it won't bug you again until software update runs.

But Windows, well it decided that every 5 minutes it was going to hide my game so I could tell it to get out of my way. If portal were a more active game like an FPS where timing and such is more essential I'd be really pissed instead of just severly annoyed.

Comment

StuBeck

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008

It doesn't force you. I've only had third party software do that. Windows gives you the option, similar to how OS X requires you to either shut down or restart.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.