Back to My Mac/Wake on Demand issue

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by IgnatiusTheKing, Dec 22, 2009.

1. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I've been using Back to My Mac without any real issue for some time now. Recently, I got a new iMac, so finally have two Macs running Snow Leopard. I tested out the Wake on Demand feature when had both connected to the same network and it worked just as advertised. When I tried to access the iMac from a remote network while it was asleep, however, it didn't even appear on the "Shared" list in my Finder window.

Any ideas how I can get this working properly from a remote location?

2. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Not sure how mine resolved itself, but it worked like yours initially. Then it just started appearing in my list without me changing any settings.

Maybe it takes some time for it to start working properly? I know that sounds ridiculous, but maybe it registers your IP address on multiple occasions and remembers it.

When it does start working, here's a tip for you: when you select it on the list, wait until your computer's folders appear before you hit the screen sharing button (if that's what you plan to do). If you hit the screen sharing button immediately upon selecting the remote computer's icon, then screen sharing will time out before the computer wakes up.