Back to my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Augustine864, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Augustine864 macrumors regular

I was reading an old thread about a member who had their MBP stolen and who knew the general area in which his thief was living thanks to to iCloud and Find my Mac. Some individuals suggested that he use "Back to my Mac" in iCloud to give him access to his stolen laptop.

In his case he did not have it enabled ahead of time and was thus unable to take advantage. I see where I can turn it on, but I am wondering which aspects of the "Back to my Mac" I should then enable, if I should or can apply passwords so just anyone can't hop on, etc.

Does anyone have Back to my Mac set up as a precaution in the event their MBP goes missing/is stolen?

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Accessing it in this manner is not what it was designed for. If you enable it, you can, from another Macintosh, access shared files, Screen Sharing, and ssh shell. If you are going to be remotely using these services I would enable it. If you are not, I see little reason to turn it on. Location services will locate the computer on a map, and you can optionally lock it or wipe it.