Back to my Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JWFerne, Oct 25, 2007.

1. JWFerne macrumors regular

Can anyone get the Back to my mac service working? I can get it to locally share, but I can't get it to work and access my office computer on a different location. Both of my computers show that the service is on in the .mac preference and I also turned on file sharing and remote management.

Anyone get it working?

Cheers!

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

maybe apple is waiting to really start this service after everyone has it?

3. JWFerne thread starter macrumors regular

Still another day and no Back to my mac. Anyone confirm if the services are on hold until 6pm today? or is it another issue?

4. traderx1 macrumors member

I also have been trying to get this to work for over a day now. I have check and rechecked my settings, but I cannot access my home computer from work.

At home, I am able to use my laptop and logon, screen share, the main home MAC, but that is because they are all using the same Router.

Glad to hear that is just not me, but I am somewhat skeptical. I am hoping they turn that feature "on" tonight. It is one of the MAIN reasons I was looking forward to this upgrade.

5. traderx1 macrumors member

Back to My Mac is still not working for me. has anyone got it to work? i am not sure what i am doing wrong...

6. TimJim macrumors 6502a

tried it as well, no go. hopefully there will be an update or something

7. JWFerne thread starter macrumors regular

Not working for me yet. I did read something from apple:

Note: If you are not using an AirPort base station to access the Internet from home, you might need to manually configure your third-party Internet router device to allow UPnP or NAT-PMP. Check the device's documentation, support website, or contact the manufacturer to learn if it supports UPnP or NAT-PMP.

Note: Some firewalls, such as at a large institution or company, may not allow some Back to My Mac connections. You might not be able to contact your Mac at work from home, but you probably will be able to contact your Mac at home from work.
    Setting up your computers for Back to My Mac

Perform these steps on each Leopard-based Mac that you want to use Back to My Mac with:

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
    From the View menu, choose .Mac.
    Click the Sign Out button to sign out of .Mac if signed in with an account. Note: If you don't have an account, you can sign up for a trial and enter your new member name.
    Input your .Mac login member name and password again and click Sign In. Remember to use the same .Mac account information on each Mac.
    Click the Back to My Mac tab.
    Click the Start button if Back to My Mac is not on.
    Click the "Open Sharing Preferences" button.
    If are not already enabled, check both screen sharing and file sharing.
    Close the System Preferences window.

Article can be found here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306672

I haven't had a chance to check my offices router, so I can't confirm if this is my problem or not. Maybe someone else will have a go and let us know if it solves their problem.

Cheers!

8. traderx1 macrumors member

I am using a Aiport Base Station at home.

I am at a large institution at work, so that firewall may be problem. As of yesterday though (prior to Leopard Release) i was not able to connect to my home computer from work, but my other .Mac features were working.

So will have to do some more testing from a friends house I guess...

9. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I'm using an AirPort Extreme Base Station (Gigabit), and it doesn't work for me at all. If you check the .Mac status page, sync has been down for two days. Unacceptable.

Just like when the first introduced Sync, I figure Back to My Mac is going to take at least a year to iron out its problems.

10. cybereal macrumors newbie

Doubtful

Back to my Mac is nothing more than an automatic way to track your home network's external IP address, and possibly shared ports. I doubt this is going to be a problem.

The real problem will be things like ISPs blocking the associated ports, and getting routers to properly behave with NAT-PMP and UPnP.

This is nothing that gamers hosting servers for multiplayer gaming haven't been familiar with for years now.

Also for those at "work" I seriously doubt your work firewall's got UPnP enabled. That would be one ridiculous security flaw. UPnP is really something for home users where the security isn't as dire. Also, some routers require individual authorization for each UPnP service request (then it allows future requests). I don't think the Airport Extreme works this way though.

11. jimmy182 macrumors newbie

Back to my Mac at Starbucks

I use the T-Mobile Hotspot service to connect wirelessly at Starbucks and can't get my mac at home to show up. Back to my Mac has worked fine from my work's internet, so I suspect the problem lies with T-Mobile. Has anyone else had this experience?

12. BrentT macrumors member

BrentT

I have yet to find one report of anyone being able to use Back to My Mac in a corporate network. I have tried all the posted troubleshooting techniques to no avail.

13. macbookguy macrumors regular

macbookguy

Not Working Here Either...

...and both routers have UPnP enabled by default.

14. woverend macrumors newbie

Well, how's this for weird...

Have two machines at home, one laptop at work.
    Leopard on all three machines. All logged in to .mac on same account. (I have been using .mac this way to sync calendars and contacts for several years now with little complaint). All three are syncing fine with each other. Home network is wireless Airport Extreme Base station (gigabit). Yesterday, laptop could access both desktop machines at home via BTMM over the airport network... beautifully, I might add. Today at work, start up the laptop and it can access one, but not both machines via BTMM over the internet.

Home machines are G5 1.8 Single processor and mid 2006 intel 20"iMac. Laptop is a 1.33 12" PB G4.
    Guess which machine I could access?

Oddly enough, the G5, and not the iMac.

Maybe the wife turned off the iMac/put it to sleep you say?

Nope. Signed into screen sharing on the G5, went to finder and signed into screen sharing on the iMac through the G5!! There it was. Actually, there the soap opera was that my wife was watching via eyetv.

And then just for fun, I turned off the BTMM access on the G5 remotely, just to see if it would work. It did, and killed the connection, which is actually good to know, security wise.

But why would one work over the internet and not the other? And why the older, slower machine? (Which also has less RAM, BTW)

15. quadrazontal macrumors newbie

Working - but only one way

Oddly enough (in my mind anyway)... it's the system on AEBS-Gig that can't be accessed.

I can pick-up a neighbor's Linksys so I gave it a go - the iMac on my AEBS-Gig and the MB on the Linksys. The two systems could see each other in Finder/Sharing but only the MB on the Linksys could be accessed (from the iMac - outbound from my network). Coming inbound from the MB/Linksys... "Connection Failed". I'd of guessed it would have been the other way-round.

16. jsfpa macrumors regular

jsfpa

I have the older airport (1 wan port, 1 lan port and 1 usb for printer). I was playing around and found a log with in the airport utility. I'm getting multiple lines like this for both of my computer's IP addresses.

Request denied for UDP 4500 to 10.0.1.4/4500 with lifetime 3600 [refused]

It comes up every 5 to 10 mins. Could this be an attempt to report back to .Mac?