Back to PC?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSlave, Aug 6, 2008.

1. iSlave macrumors 6502

:eek:

I've been a mac user for the past 3 years, and have owned mainly iMacs during that time. With the release of the aluminium iMac, my devotion to Jobs' finest creations is becoming a little shaky - for the sole reason that I hate the glossy screen.

Now, I produce a small amount of video in FCP, and I do work in After Effects and Photoshop. I'm not a professional by any means, but I find the excessive glare really annoying.

I don't need portability and screen size is important so spending £1300 on a MacBook Pro is a bit much...and I lose out on screen size unless I also buy an external monitor. I can pretty much forget about the mac pro too.

I guess what I'm saying is Apple no longer makes a desktop computer in my budget which gives me what I'm looking for.

Anyone else in this situation? I'm actually considering going back to PC (which seems unheard of), but when Apple limit your choice...what choice do you have?

2. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I do hear you since Apple is a small company and doesn't offer the same variety as HP or Dell.

But if you do switch to PC, I would at least wait until Windows Vista gets a few more service packs. And many Mac owners, or the occasional switcher to PC go to a Sony PC more times than not.

With the relatively sturdy Windows XP, and some steady industrial design improvements in many PC companies, I was starting to consider a PC, too for the first time in nearly a decade. Then it all fell to pieces with the awful initial release of Vista. Windows 95 was the last time Microsoft had such a tremendously shaky operating system initially offered to the public.

3. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Hmmm..well...if you want to do it, the go ahead. If you don't want the iMac, then why not a low end Macbook with an external monitor. Or a Mac Mini.

I'm not a Windows hater; I use Windows Server 2003 for my work [I support blade servers, SAN, Exchange, etc.], and it's soooo painful trying to use Windows after using a Mac. I even brought in my MB to work on at work, and can do all I need to do without issues.

Give it a lot of thought before pulling the trigger...really!

4. rolex54 macrumors 6502

i agree that the glare can be very bothersome
    there should be the option like on the MBP

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You're describing me 3 months ago. Now, all is good. You, my friend, need to build your own computer. :)

6. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

Would a Cinema Display work for you? The description says "antiglare coating."

7. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Blech...I use to do that stuff...when I was young. I'd rather have my spare time put to good use, like golf, spending time with the family, etc. Somehow the idea of spending hours building, and futzing with a hacked system doesn't fit my lifestyle.

I'd keep what you have, and by a wide screen 24" DELL LCD. They're under $400...no glare, hi-res, have HDMI interface, etc...

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Yeah, it was a drag spending just under $1,000 (Core 2 Quad with two 750 gig SATA drives and an 8600GT, plus a retail copy of Leopard) assembling the parts (2 hours because I'd never done it before) and installing the OS (half an hour), then using Migration Assistant to move 400 gb of data (overnight), then running the video installer (30 seconds) and audio patcher (10 seconds). But that was so long ago, I hardly remember any of it. Since then, I've had a Hack Pro that scores 6297 on GeekBench (placing it well above the quad core Mac Pros). It's too bad Apple computers are so limited and handicapped the way Steve wants you to have them. (It's funny that the top two "Macs" at GeekBench are both Hackintoshes.)

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I remember stumbling across a link to a company that made anti-glare screen covers. Custom cut per your measurements. Might be worth it, if that is your only problem. Far cheaper too. :eek: :)

10. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

You could always just get an external Matte display I would recommend Dell.
    or if not then go PC there really isn't anything wrong with Vista at this point.

11. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Wow...that's great. I bought a refurbed MB for $899. Took it out of the box [5 minutes] turned it on, and answered a few questions [5 minutes more]. Played a round of golf [little over an hour], had a couple of beers [30 minutes plus/minus], ate dinner [about 30 minutes], had a bike ride with the fam [30 minutes], had a fun evening with my wife [2 hours or so].

I rated a 7.5 on the Pen1s scale, and the wife had 2.75 orgasms...

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You can go PC and still stay with OSX. More and more people are switching to hackintosh since Apple wont give people what they need.

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Expensive to have to buy both. :eek: No wonder people get upset. :p

14. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I..um would just invest in a Cinema display or similar anti-glare display. The price of the display is worth it over switching back to Windoze.

15. iSlave thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the advice. Does anyone have a link for anywhere that makes an anti-glare cover for the imac?

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea i would just buy an additional monitor that isnt glossy. besides having two monitors is great imo

im sure youll figure out something

17. nanofrog macrumors G4