Back to PCs for who knows how long:(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrismac00, Mar 31, 2008.

1. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I sent my MacBook out today for service. I hated waiting an hour for my Sony Vaio desktop to load. The Internet on my iPhone is even faster. Well I guess I have to deal with it. How long does it usually take??

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

my dad sent his MBP in for repairs on a tuesday, and got it back on friday.

Good luck,
    and why is it going in??

3. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

It was cracking from the hinge and everything kept freezing.

4. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Ouch. Sounds like a bucket of fun.

I'll admit that when I first saw this thread, I thought it was going to be a whiny post about hnow "Apple has ruined my life, I'm going back to PC's forevah!" type post.

Glad to see its not. :)

5. aethelbert macrumors 601

You could be in for a long wait, or a very short one. I've read about people waiting for four weeks, but in my only repair experience, I dropped it off at an Apple store at 20.30 on a Monday and had it on my doorstep at 8.10 on Wednesday. Hopefully your story is more like mine, I can't imagine that it will take too long.

6. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I had a very similar experience.. Had it back in 2 days. I had a high pitched buzzing noise and a broken latch on my MBP.

7. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool. I have had to send a bunch of things to Apple this week including my MacBook, iPhone, & iPod nano. They all were malfunctioning. :/ What do you suggest will happen? I'm hoping for a refurbished new one but I don't think so. They will probably just fix it.

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

They'll probably fix the macbook, but the iPhone and nano are more likley to come back as either new or refurbished units.

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I took my MB in for mouse repair and my dad took his MB in to get a new motherboard (my lil bro fried it) and we got both computers back in 2 days time.

10. chrismac00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I sent my MacBook to repair yesterday. Today I received a call from AppleCare and it was bad news. What had happened seemed like accidental damage and was not covered by AppleCare. The cost to fix would be: $549. I was kinda mad because it wasn't my fault or Apple's. So I told the representative my whole story. I have said it before on MacRumors I think but oh well here it is:

Before Christmas, my parent's decided to buy a MacBook for me. I obviously didn't know since it was a Christmas present. My parents are Spanish but they do know English. So they go in and buy the MacBook at Best Buy, which they thought was the best store. Well to their amazement, it only seemed like they were good. They had a MacBook for $1050, specifically the one named in my signature. So they ask the Best Buy associate for details on why it was on sale. He said they just haven't boughten it yet, but its brand new. So with that they were taken, and they bought it.

In Late March, I noticed my lovely MacBook starting to malfunction. It started over heating excessively and the fan always ran. My AirPort kept dropping and my MacBook kept freezing. I was concerned and just started looking around. I noticed 2 big cracks on the hinge and on the bottom, the computer started cracking too. So I quickly set up an appointment with a Genius at the Apple Store. I was hoping for them to fix it, but the guy explained what happened. It was obvious to him that from looking at the MacBook and the box it came in, it was an open box product. They also explained they couldn't fix it. He told me to go to Best Buy and I did.

At Best Buy I waited 2 hours to talk to the "GM". 2 Hours. Just so he could say it was my fault and not Best Buys. So I got really mad and called Best Buy corporate. They told me the name of the REAL GM. So I went back inside and to my amazement she was there. She looked like she was really mad because we called corporate but I just had to do it if I wasn't getting the service I needed. She just yelled how we should of found out sooner and blah blah and explaining that she was willing to do NOTHING at all unless we paid to get it sent out to be fixed. I expected a NEW product I said to her and she said that she was sorry but they couldn't do anything and that I had to do it when it was in the 14 return policy. So I just left the store after "nicely yelling at her :)" and called AppleCare.

AppleCare sent me a box to my house to see what the problem was. They received it this morning and told me I had to pay $549. So I started telling the representative my story and she quickly called her supervisor. Within 30 minutes, I was on the line with him and he said he was sorry and that he would cover the cost. I was SO HAPPY! I made a vow to NEVER EVER EVER EVER by ANYTHING with BESTBUY! NEVER! I really want them to fire Nan, the real General Manager. She was so racist. I mean come on, she works in an area that has the most Hispanics ever! And I thank Apple. I am really happy and I just can't express how I feel. Thanks again Apple and I advise anyone who is going to buy anything like what I bought, especially Macs, don't go to Best Buy. Don't do it. I learned my lesson.