Back To School 2013 started - New rMBP during or after BTS?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 007 Junior, Jul 2, 2013.

1. 007 Junior macrumors regular

007 Junior

Today I've noticed that the long awaited Back to School promotion has started! The promotion started today and will run till September 8th, 2013. Will the new Retina MacBook Pro arrive just in time to pick up the BTS-bonus?

I think Apple uses the Back To School-promotion to clear their current stock of "old" models, to get more space for the new MacBook Pro's with Haswell. Following that line, it would be most likely that the new mbp's will be released around mid/end of September.

What do you guys think? Is Apple going to keep new models away from us till the end of the BTS-promotion? Or are we going to see them in the upcoming months?

(Sorry if my English is not very well)

2. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

At least on the BTS promotion does not seems the machines had got a "silent" Haswell upgrade as some people predicted, I still think it will not be released with Haswell, possibly also Thunderbolt 2, until March 2014.

3. dav465 macrumors member

4. netcastle macrumors member

I think it's probably a likely bet that this promotion will not include Haswell MBP's, but that doesn't mean anything about an update to the machine itself. Apple can exclude certain items from a promotion.

As far as 2014 goes for updated MBP's, I hope not! That's a long, and arbitrary, time frame, unless someone has some sort of inside line as to when the new thunderbolt chipsets will be released. I believe intel said Q3/Q4. That would put it in the september time frame. I don't believe apple will release the new MBP's without thunderbolt 2, but I also don't believe they will release 4K support in QT and FCP without a portable machine that can support it on an external monitor. It would be a marketing disaster for them to do so.

I bet on September.

5. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I dont think there will be an update to the other MBP lines while the BTS sale is on. Normally, if they didnt announce any upgrades in the summer, they will probably announce it in September and release it in October as in previous years.

6. zombiedave macrumors newbie

Yup! Cancelled a order I placed yesterday and re-ordered same thing today with a free £70 gift card! Woo hoo!

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Apple has updated computers during the Back to School event before. I'm remembering the 2011 Macbook Air update and the 2007 aluminum iMac launch.

There is also a trend to update Macs in the October/November timeframe after BTS has finished.

I don't think that Apple would wait for some major event to launch the updated rMBPs, they're most likely just waiting on some component to be ready to ship (CPUs, GPUs, displays, Thunderbolt?).

8. 007 Junior thread starter macrumors regular

007 Junior

Is it likely that they are waiting for Mavericks to ship it pre-installed on the new rMBP's?

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

They wouldn't wait for Mavericks to do that. It's other reasons.

10. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

I would take September but I bet we don't see it until October. Maybe at some event they will have.

Well, it is something to look forward too...

-P

11. 007 Junior thread starter macrumors regular

007 Junior

IF the new rMBP arrives before Mavericks does, is it possible to get a free upgrade to Mavericks as soon as it comes out?

----------

Absolutely! Can't hardly wait! :D

12. Chris.w macrumors newbie

Are there any significant hardware (physical) changes between thunderbolt 1 and 2? If so, the geekbench leak might indicate an earlier release.

I still find it weird that apple would choose to release haswell as late as october. If they continue like that, they will be miles behind the competition in a few years.

13. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

I would recommend BTS people to not buy until Apple clarifies the situation. This is the best message you can send to apple, so they understand who rule the market...

14. PDFierro macrumors 68040

What do you mean by that?

----------

Mavericks would only be 20 or 30 bucks as an upgrade anyway. Not a big deal.

15. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Yes, software upgrades are cheap vs Microsoft (thanks Apple !!), you also get multiple copies of it while pating only for one if they are all downloaded with the same Itunes account ( happened to me when downloaded Mountain Lion on my 2nd and third laptops at home, system said have previously paid for it and downloaded them free!)

16. sofianito macrumors 65816

sofianito

Well, by initiating BTS promotion, and not providing any forecast regarding rMBP haswell release, Apple is putting pressure on BTS people and expecting them to clear out old stock. For those who are eager to get for instance the 13" rMBP, it is not worth to give up now and buy a MBA just to save $100. I would recommend them to put back pressure on Apple...

17. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

The rMBPs will come during the same event Mavericks is released along with the Mac Pro. There might finally be a Mac related only event in the near future, aimed at pros.

18. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Well, for those saying that Macs aren't updated during the B2S promotion, they're not entirely correct. Here's some recent release dates (the ones highlighted in red are [most likely] during the B2S promotion):

iMac:
    • 2009: October 20th
    • 2010: July 27th
    • 2011: May 3rd
    • 2012: November 30th / December
    Mac Mini:
    • 2009: March 3rd / October 20th
    • 2010: June 15th
    • 2011: July 20th
    • 2012: October 23rd
    MBA:
    • 2011: July 20th
    • 2012: June 11th
    MBP:

• 2009: January 6th / March / June 8th
      2010: April 13th
      2011: February 24th / October 24th
      2012: June 11th
    rMBP:
    • 2012: June 11th / October 23rd
    • 2013: February 13th
    So, we can see here it's pretty half and half. The main take away is that the B2S promotion doesn't seem to really have any noticeable effect on release cycles, however... and are probably moreso determined by Intel's roadmap for compatible CPUs and TB chips.

I'd love to see the rMBP get refreshed soon, but I don't think we'll see it until after the promotion.

19. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Exactly. Apple will release them when they are ready to be released. They might hold them a week or two to coincide with Mavericks or another event, but they aren't going to hold them back for 3 months just because they want to announce them at an event.

20. AmishRakeFightr macrumors newbie

From what I can see on Apple's site the 2011 Q3 earnings call was on July 19th[1] and according to your info above the Mac Mini and MBA were updated the day after.

[1](http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/07/19Apple-Reports-Third-Quarter-Results.html)

21. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

First off your English is great. I'm a American who works in Eastern Europe and I wish everybody spoke and wrote like you.

I think it also might depend on how well Apple does during the BTS promo. I mean, if they are trying to clear the shelves for the new product then what happens if the shelves become bare half way thru the promotion? That is of course if the new product is ready by then