Back to School (Already?)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Epic Xbox Revie, May 17, 2011.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

I plan on purchasing a MBP for college. Would the best time to buy be after OSX LION is released? Will this be before the BTS sale ends? If I bought it when the BTS sale begins (next tuesday), would LION be free and therefore waiting would be useless? Will there be a new MBP before August?:eek:

2. ann713 macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing the promo will end before Lion is released.

3. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Final question: Better to wait for Lion, or to get the free iPod (and resell it)?

4. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Up to you. I would personally take advantage of the free iPod + student discount now. That's a guaranteed -$250 off.

Also, if you purchase a Mac within the 2-3 months before OSX Lion is released, you might even get a discounted upgrade. I bought my MacBook a month before Snow Leopard was released and it was only a $30 upgrade. If I remember correctly, they confirm with the devices serial number and your receipt.

5. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Thanks. I'm just torn between now and waiting.

6. jamied95 macrumors 6502

It was a $30 upgrade for everyone. The deal usually ends September time, and Lion probably won't affect it - it's about publicising and getting rid of iPods before their refresh in early September.

7. scoobydoo99 macrumors 6502a

I don't think anyone suggested that Lion would "affect" the back to school promotion! The question was whether it would be available during the same timeframe.

Seems like the best bet is to wait till WWDC next month, find out when Lion will be available, then make the decision.

8. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Ah yes, I'm sorry, just misread it...

Snow Leopard was unveiled on the 8th June 2009 and then released on the 28th August. I would presume that if you bought a computer in that time, you would get a free (or close to it) upgrade, I might be wrong though.

I agree with the above poster though, wait it out until WWDC, it's only 19 days! If you can manage to get a free iPod + Lion, that's quite a significant saving, and even if they say that Lion won't be out til September (it's scheduled for summer, so that shouldn't be the case) then you can always just spring on the Back to School deal!

9. speedfreak007 macrumors member

back to school ends somewhere in septembre. Lion will be released in August, so just wait until then and get them both

10. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie