Back to School and tax exempt?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dex22, Jun 12, 2007.

1. dex22 macrumors regular

My girlfriend plans to buy a macbook and iPod using the Back to School promo. She is also a filmmaker, which in TX means it's a tax-free purchase.

We know Apple will give her a student discount, and we know they allow these tax exemptions.

Does anyone know if they will or will not combine them in a single transaction, or if this would affect the iPod rebate?

She would also like to know if she can split the purchase across two credit cards.

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

If she's a student and has tax-exempt status I don't see any reason why she wouldn't be allowed to use both, the worst they can do is say no.

3. mwp98223 macrumors 6502

Have you just asked Apple?

4. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Apple tends to split up credit card charges (which doesn't make much sense fee wise for them), which would lead me to believe that either/or is possible. As for splitting credit cards, I would assume they can do this. The thing with that is, you'd probably want to call Apple to order or go to a store, I don't think you can split the cards in the online store.

5. dex22 thread starter macrumors regular

She'd like me to take her to the Austin store this evening to do the business... She's switching :)

Thanks for the answers - any dissenters?

6. dex22 thread starter macrumors regular

I called the Apple Store, and they said either/or. It is a condition of the Back to School promo that taxes are paid.

They also said the waters are muddied because macbook would be tax exempt and the iPod wouldn't be - which means they;d have to be on separate receipts, which doesn't meet the single invoice requirement of the offer.

So, that's the final word.

7. astrostu macrumors 6502

Hope it's not too late for this, but ...

How much is tax? When I get my new Mac Pro, a ~$3000 machine (well, around $2500 from Apple), it's going to come with $211 in tax (8.45% here) on the $2500 part from Apple. Which is $12 more than the $199 rebate you get for the iPod. So, depending upon what tax is and how expensive the individual machine, it's a simple matter of which is cheaper.

8. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Yeah, you're probably better off paying the taxes and getting a free iPod, unless your tax rate is through the roof.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Could you just let them charge you sales tax on a single receipt/invoice and then file for a refund after?

10. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

I don't know if that's right. Last year during tax free I got a MBP and an iPod, but because only computer is tax-free, they have to put them on separate receipt. But since this is known to the rebate center, they still processed them.

I'd give the rebate center a call.