back to school at apple

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jakerevell, Jun 1, 2011.

1. jakerevell macrumors newbie

if you remember last year (i think??) there was a welcome back to school offer, buy a macbook and get an ipod touch 8gb for free
    so 3 questions
    1. will it me the same this year
    2. will it be 5th gen or 4th gen
    3. its 8gb, could i pay the £60 or so to pay the difference and get the 32gb as i have 12gb of film!!!

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Just curious - why would you think we would know?
    When it's officially announced, we will know. But, then you will too.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

4. jakerevell thread starter macrumors newbie

the idea is i want peoples views and how possible it is
    1. yey
    2. not so yey but could sell it
    3. shame

5. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

I think the promo has as much to do with getting rid of old stock ahead of a refresh, than anything.

Not sure it will be a motivator for me...BB will be giving $150 gift cards for $1000 spent (Silver Reward Zone at least) and if I decide to go "cheapo" on my iMac purchase, I'd probably opt for that promo....we'll see!

6. gmans46 macrumors regular

eh they might just give you 200$ and allow you to get any ipod more expensive

7. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I did the Back to School promo the first year they had it. How it worked back then: You buy the Mac and any iPod you want. You fill out a rebate form and they send you a check for the cost of an iPod mini (at the time, in this case it would be the iPod Touch). Is this how it still works?

8. easyrun99 macrumors newbie

I bought a Mac in 2009 under the Back to School promo and that's exactly how it worked. You buy the Mac and, in 2009, an iPod touch of your choice. You then complete a rebate form and Apple sent a check in the amount of the 8gb iPod touch, regardless of what gb you actually purchased (before any taxes are added). Pretty good deal.

If you're in a state that doesn't require sales taxes on Amazon.com purchases, you can sometimes beat the deal on a discounted Mac, free shipping along with no sales tax. And Best Buy's gift card promo was mention above, giving you more purchasing options with the savings...

9. zoomin6 macrumors member

So is this $100.00 app store credit the back to school promotion we've all been waiting so long for???

Where's my free iPod AND printer?! :(
    Lol

Walter..

10. gmans46 macrumors regular

11. zoomin6 macrumors member

Lol yea..but I need to replace my current iPod so I was really looking forward to the free iPod (I would have gotten the classic with the iPod touch credit).

Has apple ever announced two back to school promos?

We have the $100 app store credit now, what are the chances of them announcing the usual back to school with free iPod?

Walter..

12. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Apple usually gave away iPods to clear old stock. Apple not giving free iPods this year makes me think there will be no new iPods this year. Apple will not make iPod Touch better than iPhone. So, if iPhone doesn't come out this year I think there will no new iPods as well.

13. duky macrumors 6502

I think Apple just realized that they don't have to 'give away' anything anymore. Same reason they don't bother with Macworld anymore or reserve events and releases for Tuesdays only. I think it's the natural progression of the company that is growing and realizing that sticking to what they had done in the past to excite people isn't necessary as everyone is already excited about the company. Also getting people acquainted with the App/iTunes store is clearly very important to them so they're doing everything they can to push people to familiarize themselves with the system.

14. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

There's no reason for them to be offering the deals as people will buy them regardless.

15. zoomin6 macrumors member

Yea you guys are right.

With the $100.00 card they're offering, I initially thought I could apply this to any purchase from apple, turns out once I called apple the card can only be used in the app store.

I was really hoping to be able to apply it to my ipod purchase to get $100.00 off. Seems like I'll just have to pay the full price for my ipod.

Oh well, thanks for the input guys, apple still gets my money.

Walter..