Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
What are the odds that Apple will offer a ~$200 voucher to be used on the iPad in addition to any of their ipod products?

It would make sense for Apple: lure people to buy a Macbook AND and ipad instead of just an iPad (cannibalizing the MBP) or just a MBP.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
My school has had a free iPod Touch 8GB and a printer with a MB purchase the past couple years.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
The Apple Edu site has that promo every summer, it's not limited to your school.

@OP Not sure, sorry.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
I doubt that the iPad will have worldwide release by the time Back to School starts in the States. As a result, I would say that iPad will not be included. One rationale for the Back to School promo is to clear out inventory before the Fall refresh.

we won't know until they announce it though.

broncopde

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Conway, AR
What are the odds that Apple will offer a ~$200 voucher to be used on the iPad in addition to any of their ipod products?

It would make sense for Apple: lure people to buy a Macbook AND and ipad instead of just an iPad (cannibalizing the MBP) or just a MBP.

I think they're very low. I think one of the most important factors in the back to school promo is that Apple is selling tons of nearly year-old hardware (think cheaper) right before they release new hardware (think more expensive). This would obviously be exactly in the opposite in the case of the iPad.

Unprocessed1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 23, 2008
I think they're very low. I think one of the most important factors in the back to school promo is that Apple is selling tons of nearly year-old hardware (think cheaper) right before they release new hardware (think more expensive). This would obviously be exactly in the opposite in the case of the iPad.

True, but I can imagine that a lot of college kids would pick a $300 ipad over a free ipod touch.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN

Exactly. A lot of people who were going to buy an iPod Touch had by the time they made them into a promotional item. I could see them having some kind of iPad deal eventually, but not for a year or two.

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Apple reps I have spoken to have repeatedly said no discounts on iPads. The institution I work for has huge purchasing power with Apple, and recently placed an order for 5000 ipad units. All at full retail just like the iPhone. My bet is that ipad will not be offered in the BTS promo

pjgeer

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2007
Makes sense. My school's bookstore must make a decent cut because they advertise it a lot. :p

Being an Edu reseller of Apple, we and they don't make a decent cut, believe me. We make more money on a toshiba laptop, then an Apple/printer and ipod combined.

We are not told what the promo is or if there will even be one until perhaps the day before, actually we normally find out when it is posted on Apple's site. Being in Canada, some years we get a heads up form the US site, although last year it started on both sites at that same time.

Pj

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.