back to school promo info... multiple submissions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joebells, Jul 20, 2007.

1. joebells macrumors 6502

Hi I was wondering if anyone had any info on doing multiple back to school submissions(in the same year)? My girlfriend(the college student) got an iMac and an ipod at a retail store but her sister paid for it with her credit card so her sisters name was on the receipt. I wasn't sure who to put on the rebate submission forms so I just put her sisters name since she was listed on the receipt(their rebate submission hotline makes it impossible to talk to an actual person)

Now we are going to get a macbook pro(more for me really(I'm selling my current macbook) but we'll both use it so no moral issues using her discount in my mind) and are wondering about doing the submission again. This time it would be under her name for sure. So this might not even count as a second submission but if it would I could not find anything on the website saying there was a limit. Am I missing it? I know the total limit would end up being 2 since you can only buy 1 desktop and 1 portable per year with the discount.

Also what if apple were to update the macbooks in late august do you think they would still be eligible for the promotion? Has that happened in years before?

A side question I am going to be selling my macbook and it is a model sent by an apple executive after multiple repeated repair attempts and a letter was sent from the apple executive stating the warranty and such does that affect the selling of the macbook? If you type the serial number online it states the very end of september as the warranty end date.

Thanks.

edit: It looks like her sisters rebates are going through fine in her sisters name so we should be fine.

2. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Apple will probably have your gf's sister's name in their database, so you should be able to purchase a macbook without trouble. You did say the sister's name was on the rebate right?

As for your current macbook, where do you live? I believe that California has a law which states that if a product has to go in for repairs, then the time it takes to repair the product does not count against the total time of the warranty. Example: you buy the macbook on September 30th, 2006. The logic board fails within a month, and it takes Apple one week to get you a replacemnt. The warranty would then expire on October 6th, 2007. Again, this is in California (I'm pretty sure), so I'm not sure how this works in other states.

3. joebells thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply.

The receipt says my girlfriends sisters name(used her credit card) so I put my girlfriends sisters name on the rebate form. We weren't sure if that was right or not we'll find out when the rebate gets rejected or not.

I live in pennsylvania so that doesn't apply but what happened is I emailed corporate and an apple executive relations got involved and ended up sending her a brand new one and he said that her warranty started over and the website reflects that. He sent her a typed up letter in the mail essentially in the place of a reciept. My question was do you think there will be any issue with a new owner getting warranty work done? I imagine not since I believe generally the warranty is attached to the serial number just figured I'd ask.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

The warranty is based on the machine (serial number), not the purchaser so it can be switched and the new owner will not have any problem.

5. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Re: Rebates and names, my father bought my sister an iBook about 2 years back, charged it on his credit card, but my sister filled out the rebates in her name and she got the money. :rolleyes:

Also, the rules specify "one per household."