Back to School Promo Question?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cjenkins505, Feb 13, 2009.

1. cjenkins505 macrumors member

Hi I am wandering if in the previous back to school promotions you had the option to take money off the laptop price if you decide not to get the free Ipod. I am planning to get a nano but I sort of want to get one now. If you have that option of taking money off the laptop I will do that and buy the nano now.

2. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Nope, no can do. The point of the promo is to (a) clear out old iPod stocks before introducing new models, and (b) solidify the college iPod ecosystem. Giving you free money does neither. :p

3. cjenkins505 thread starter macrumors member

4. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

you could get another ipod with the computer and sell it or sell your old one and recoup that $

5. cjenkins505 thread starter macrumors member

yah i was thinking bout that and you can get the new nanos for like $100 now on ebay. I have a Touch but want a nano for working out.

6. Trix macrumors member

Trix

Buy the Nano now, and get a Nano with the Promo. Sell the old one and profit off whatever it brings. You'll have made money and have a new iPod.

7. cjenkins505 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply except I don't know how I would make money that way.

8. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

sorry to hijack the thread but when does the 'back to school' offer normally start-end?

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It usually starts in early June and ends around late September.

10. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

sell it on ebay.

11. macJC50640 macrumors regular

Advice

I don't know if the OP is still following this thread, but I'd like to say the new nanos are really nice. I love the all aluminum design and I'm glad they got away from the short and stub look. I am glad I got one. However, some of my friends say that even the nano is not fit for working out. I'd say save some money and go with the shuffle for a cheap work out iPod, and keep your touch as your main iPod. When the back to school promo comes out, get another free touch and either sell yours or sell the new one for the most money off the Mac.
    :cool:;)

12. cjenkins505 thread starter macrumors member

wow I never thought of buying a shuffle. I love the nano look and I think it would be fine to use for running. (I usually just hold my touch in my hand). Does anyone here run with a nano or shuffle?

13. Trix macrumors member

Trix

Do you want a screen? If yes = nano; if no = shuffle.

And as per my previous post, bumzo1 answered for me, sell it.

14. JonMcDonald macrumors member

Anything is fine for running (especially if you buy the armband). I believe that the shuffle does (did, maybe?) have a clip that you can attach anywhere on a shirt or shorts. I agree, the shuffle is great for working out. You really don't need a screen when working out. When I hit the gym regularly I was not very impressed with the iTouch. Saw people with shuffles, and was jealous. I'd want something I can beat up.

Get shuffle now, save ~100$. Then sell whatever you get with the Back to School Promo, collect rebate, and put it all towards your MacBook. It'll be a nice chunk down :].