Back to School Promo - Sales Tax?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waiheke2, Aug 14, 2008.

1. waiheke2 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

I'm going to be in Canada for a year as an exchange student and I'll take that chance to get my first Mac (a Macbook Pro to be exact) with the back to school promo.
    But I am still wondering about the whole sales tax thing:
    It says that after the mail-in rebate, the ipod touch is free, but don't I still have to pay the taxes for it when I buy it?
    So it wouldn't really be free as I only get back the price for the ipod (319$) which is without taxes, or am I missing something here?

(I'm just a bit confused, because here in Germany we have a different sales tax system where the price you see already contains all the taxes which is why the ipod is really completely free here after the rebate)

I'd be glad if one of you could help me out here, after all there must be loads of people out there who already bought a mac and an ipod with the promo! :D
    Thanks!

2. erummel macrumors member

erummel

Yes, you get a rebate for the retail price of the 8BG iPod Touch. But you'll have to pay sales tax on it first. At least in most places that I'm aware of. Check with your local Apple Store if you are unsure.