[Back to School] Proof of being a student

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kibu, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Kibu macrumors newbie

I am international student and I will be starting at City College this fall. I'm looking to buy a MacBook in NY when I arrive but I won't have a student ID card right away the first week.

I do have an acceptance letter from City College. Do you think this will be enough proof for the Back to School promotion?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Can you print out the class schedule for the next semester?

3. Kibu thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't think so. I arrive mid-August and register for classes on the 24th. That's a whole week without a computer (and I have to look on Craigslist for rooms)

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd call and ask the Apple store then, as they want proof that you are a currently enrolled student. I would imagine that the acceptance letter would work, although you'll want to verify that with Apple.

5. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

If you have an @edu email address that should be enough. Do you have some sort of acceptance letter though? That might be preferred. In my experience, people were very willing to give the discount to anyone who looked of age. I wouldn't worry too much, I am sure you will be fine.

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

They stated that they had that in the first post.

7. anon.ymous macrumors member

A student id, a school email address/web portal that you can log into, a semester schedule, or an acceptance letter will be sufficient.

8. Kibu thread starter macrumors newbie

If this is true then I'm good. I won't have to take a laptop with me to NY only for a few days then.

9. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Oops, somehow I didn't comprehend that section. Sorry!

Yes, I can assure you this will be sufficient- at least given my past experience with very willing Apple employees.

Enjoy your new laptop, and New York!

10. ziked macrumors newbie

If you buy it from the education online store, they don't ask for an ID. For my school (UMass), Apple doesnt even verify the email address. You just select your school from the list and you are all set

11. SidBala macrumors 6502a

Worst case scenario - Can't you go without a laptop for a few days?

Your school will obviously have computers for public use.

I almost never carry my laptop to school these days.

12. Kibu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers guys!

Another quick question. I understand that a new iPod is coming around Sept. 9. Is there a way to get this one instead of the 'old' one with the back to school promotion?

13. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

There is not, the back to school program is a way to get rid of their old ipods :p

14. AustinZ macrumors member

AustinZ

If you wait until the new one is released and available, you can apply your $200 credit towards the purchase of the new iPod. I don't know if this wil be practical in your case, though.

15. Kibu thread starter macrumors newbie

The promotion ends on Sept. 7. I don't think that's possible ... ?

16. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I recently bought a Macbook Pro from the Apple Store. They asked if I was a student, I said yes. They asked for the zip code of the school. I gave it to them. The sales guy pulled up a list of schools on his iPod, I showed him which school it was, he selected it, and I was done. No ID or proof needed. I could have been lying and it wouldn't have made a difference.

17. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

I didn't need any proof when I got my MBP. They just gave me the discount even though I look a lot older than a kid who just got out of high school.

18. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's not

The above quotes are what has been a lot of people's experience over the last two years.