Back to School question .

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Goohfy, May 21, 2011.

1. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

Hey guys, later this year, probably mid - June, I was planning on picking up a MBP. I was planning to order one online and using the back to school sale discount / deal. Now, when I order it, do I need any verification for the discount ? If I do I was planning on using my older brother's ID, but if he doesn't have it by then ( He'll be a freshman ) I wanna' know if it they will ask for verification. Let me know if you guys have ever tried / done this before, and how it worked out for you.

2. Surfing@Blacks macrumors regular

Have your transcript ready and your thesis statement scanned to them.

3. jason221 macrumors 6502

Supposedly, if you order online, you don't need any verification. I've never ordered online using the student discount, though, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

4. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Yes, that's what I've also heard. During the Back to School sale, how much will the prices drop ? How much will a base model MBP cost ?

5. mikeytwice macrumors member

The prices don't drop from normal Education pricing, which you can see if you click on the "Education Store" link once you're in the Apple Store. Most MBP's are $100 off, but the higher end models are $200 off (and have cheaper upgrades).

You'll probably be able to get an iPod Touch, though, which you can then resell on eBay for at least $150. You can also get a crappy printer and try to sell that, but I think it'd be more trouble than its worth.

Also, check your brother's school's store (they may have an online storefront if it's a bigger school) -- mine is selling the base 15" for $1,575, but it can't be combined with other promos (like the iPod Touch promo).

From what I've heard, the online Apple Store doesn't ask for any verification, but I've always been affiliated with a university when purchasing and have done so in store.

6. mak713 macrumors member

Sorry to hijack this thread but if I was to purchase a MBP say next week and if the promotion were to start in a few weeks time, will Apple let me take advantage of the Back to School promo and get a iPod Touch with a mail in rebate please?

Thanks
    Mak

7. mac00l macrumors 6502

No, you need to buy the MBP once the back to school promotion has started.

8. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

That was my idea, to take the extra hit with the iPod then sell it so it's as if I got even more of a discount in the end.