Back to school rebate process

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mattrgee, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mattrgee macrumors member

Hi all,

After buying a qualifying macbook and ipod, what is the rebate process that I need to follow and more importantly do I have to send a copy of my student id to apple along with any other supporting documents?

How long does it take for the rebate to be process and how is the rebate made i.e. by cheque or bank transfer etc??

Thanks

2. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

No you dont need to send a copy of your student id . They always ask for the serial number from the box and a copy of the receipts , The rebate is always a prepaid debit card with the money already in it

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

No, you don't need to send in a copy of your student ID. You will, however, have to send in the UPC of anything you purchased under the rebate.

For example, if you get a macbook, an iPod, and a printer, and the iPod and printer are "free" with purchase of the macbook, then you need to send in all 3 UPCs along with receipts (the iPod and printer rebate program were separate when I did it, so Apple tells you to make a copy of the computer's UPC and make a note of where the actual UPC is, ie, I wrote on mine that it was sent into the iPod rebate program).

All in all the process is pretty fast. I got my money (mine was in the form of a check) within 4 weeks or so, which is pretty fast for a rebate program. But this was in 2007, so Apple may have gone the way of other companies and started to issue debit cards (beware, those things expire within a few months).

4. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Last year I bought a computer during this promotion and they sent me a check in less than a week; in fact I didn't even have to send in my UPC code from neither computer nor iPod.

6. punjabimc macrumors newbie

If you by in-store do you have to apply for a rebate or do you get one immediately?

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

Still a rebate, in-store :apple:

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You must fill out the rebate form and submit the necessary materials. There is no instantaneous rebate that is offered in the store. However, buying in a store means that you get your UPC immediately, which can speed up the process considerably for your money's arrival.

9. Yessle macrumors newbie

Anyone try for the rebate that is not a student? I just got done with collage for now, currently not a student but was going to try get best buy to give me the promo... What does apple require you to send for proof that you are a student? Could i pull this savings of $329 with just graduating with my third degree? Any sugestions?

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If your finals aren't over yet, then you still have time to act. If, however, you've finished all of your classes and have graduated completely, then it would be dishonest to try to make use of the promo and no one here will help you find a way to violate its terms as that is against the rules.

If you are looking for a discount, try Amazon, Mac Mall, Mac Connection, or look into a refurbished model from Apple.

11. Yessle macrumors newbie

Sorry that is not what I was implying! I just was refering to recent grads, but as I read it again that's how I interpurtated it... But please forgive me!?!?!

12. emt1 macrumors 65816

Actually the rebate process this year is paperless. You fill out a very small form online and they mail you the rebate. There is nothing to mail in.

13. lj789 macrumors newbie

did you get the rebate by bank transfer to cheque? which on incur fees?