Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjenkins505

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I am going to be getting a MacBook for College in the summer hopefully early June and I am wandering if you guys think Snow Leopard will be released by then??

cjenkins505

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
So do you think it would be better to wait till then?? Also will it come free on the macbook if I buy it then?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
if you can wait, i'd hold out until wwdc, where details of snow leopard's launch is expected. once announced, you'll be able to upgrade to snow leopard through apple's up-to-date program if your new mac doesn't include it. i think it's a $10 fee.

cjenkins505

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
so if i got a macbook like right before it was released it would only cost $10 to upgrade?

cjenkins505

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
ok good and when is this convention? Sorry for all the questions I am very anxious about getting a MacBook

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
I'm in the same boat as the OP. Summertime, I'll be buying.

Any idea if the Touch or just the Nano will be offered with the Back to School promo? I would sell it for an extra discount on top the edu one.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
ok good and when is this convention? Sorry for all the questions I am very anxious about getting a MacBook

the exact date hasn't been announced yet (i don't think), but it usually happens june 10ish. although there was a year when it happened in august.

cjenkins505

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Hopefully its early June. Yah I am hoping they have the Ipod Promo that offers an upgrade to a 32gb touch. I want to sell my first gen 16Gb Touch so I have more memory for movies. I am flying to Japan so I will need it. :D

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Sweet, Japan! I went there last summer for almost a month. You'll love it. I went to Tokyo, Osaka, Hiroshima, and Fukuoka. Where will you be going? I'll be going there maybe August this summer.

I have a 32GB 2G iPod Touch. Got off eBay for $270 brand new. It's an awesome device.

cjenkins505

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
I am leaving July 31st and I am staying at my friends house who moved there for about two weeks. I am very excited. So far we have some general plans like Tokyo (where is lives), Osaka where will stay a couple days at his grandparents, and Hiroshima. Also there is a cool Island we heard of off the coast of Hiroshima called Miyajima. Any suggestions? Also how bout the flight.. Sorry I know this isnt the right forum to do this in

DJJONES

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2008
Newengland usa!
if you can wait, i'd hold out until wwdc, where details of snow leopard's launch is expected. once announced, you'll be able to upgrade to snow leopard through apple's up-to-date program if your new mac doesn't include it. i think it's a $10 fee.

let me get this correct now,

all the guys running 10.5.6 on there mac's can upgrade to snow lepoard for 10 bucks?
are you serious?:eek:
thats a major deal

when ms brings out new os's you usually dont pay 10 bucks to upgrade.:mad:

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Haha your trip sounds just like mine. I went to Tokyo, then Osaka, Hiroshima, and I DID go on a ferry to Miyajima. It's really cool. You go there, and instantly, you hear wild monkeys in the forests and wild deer can come up to you with no fear. Signs and people will tell you don't have any paper out, cause they'll eat it! Haha.

I went when the Itsukushima Shinto Shrine was partially flooded. That is, the tide was up, but not completely, so that big orange structure is barely floating in the water on the coast. In winter/spring, it's submerged almost completely, and in the late fall, it's dried on land. My advice there- go shopping and get Manju (really delicious Miyajima-native sweets). I got some as Omiyage for my exchange student.

I want to go to Hokkaido and maybe further south to Kagoshima. The time you go, it'll be so hot and humid, just have fun and go swimming a lot!

PS- airports have the best foreign exchange on money. Also, if you use ATMs, do so at the post office, and try to use them as least as possible. Coming back to the states in mid July over the summer, I had to spend an extra $10 on international withdrawal fees.

The flight takes maybe 10 hrs or so. I didn't sleep one bit. Left at 1 pm pacific time, landed in Narita, Tokyo 2:30 pm the next day.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
let me get this correct now,

all the guys running 10.5.6 on there mac's can upgrade to snow lepoard for 10 bucks?
are you serious?:eek:
thats a major deal

when ms brings out new os's you usually dont pay 10 bucks to upgrade.:mad:

if you buy a mac from the shipping announcement of a new mac os, you can upgrade for $10. people who bought their macs before this announcement, which hasn't happened yet, have to pay the retail price.

cjenkins505

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
Yea I am very excited. How was the plane ride? Also did you go to Akihabara?? Its the big tech area in Tokyo

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
The plane ride was really easy. Just be aware battery life on the Touch might be a bit to worry about if you're watching movies. Turn down the brightness.

Yes, I did go to Akihabara. (Took the train in Shinagawa Station where my hotel was). I shopped a 10-story supermall, crazy anime stores, all the sorts. I also went to Shibuya (Tokyo's Times Square), Ueno, and plenty of others I forgot the name of unless I saw a map again. It's been 7 months since I went there. I miss it so bad.

You'll have a blast! Make sure to get the Mega Tamago (Double egg and burger thing at McDonalds Tokyo with secret sauce). Haha, I saw an advertisement on the trains and bought one in Shinagawa. It's Tokyo-exclusive, nowhere else in the world. I wished they had it in Hiroshima when I went there. Unless you don't like McDonalds, I'd say go to the Yoshinoya (Unagi franchise, baked eel). That's the bomb! I also went to some authentic ramen, udon, and kaiten zushi restaurants too. Carry cash, lots of these places don't use debit. (Well, US debit cards)

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
PS- airports have the best foreign exchange on money.
Is that a joke? Most airports take about 10% where many banks, especially in large cities, will do a currency exchange for free.

Relating to the topic, be sure to hold off on buying it until the up-to-date program is announced. It may come quite a few days after the release date is announced.

Ryuukumori

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Is that a joke? Most airports take about 10% where many banks, especially in large cities, will do a currency exchange for free.

Not when I was there in Narita. It had the best foreign exchange. I did my research online and during that time everywhere else. It did not cost extra for exchange. Maybe in America, perhaps, but NOT Japan.

Harmless Abuse

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
The plane ride was really easy. Just be aware battery life on the Touch might be a bit to worry about if you're watching movies. Turn down the brightness.

Yes, I did go to Akihabara. (Took the train in Shinagawa Station where my hotel was). I shopped a 10-story supermall, crazy anime stores, all the sorts. I also went to Shibuya (Tokyo's Times Square), Ueno, and plenty of others I forgot the name of unless I saw a map again. It's been 7 months since I went there. I miss it so bad.

You'll have a blast! Make sure to get the Mega Tamago (Double egg and burger thing at McDonalds Tokyo with secret sauce). Haha, I saw an advertisement on the trains and bought one in Shinagawa. It's Tokyo-exclusive, nowhere else in the world. I wished they had it in Hiroshima when I went there. Unless you don't like McDonalds, I'd say go to the Yoshinoya (Unagi franchise, baked eel). That's the bomb! I also went to some authentic ramen, udon, and kaiten zushi restaurants too. Carry cash, lots of these places don't use debit. (Well, US debit cards)
The one thing I will never love about Japan, is the lack of Taco Bell.

Sure, Taco Bell sucks, a lot, but you know what, you learn to miss it when you can never have it again.

Also, that God-awful Krispy Kreme line when I went. Holy **** it made me laugh so much, Krispy Kreme donuts are so horrible! They're gas station donuts here!

I'm moving there in about 6 months for school. Dorry to jump in on the conversation!

As for the original point of this thread, I'm expecting it to be released at WWDC, at least the upgrade won't cost too terribly much? To the average user, I don't think the difference between Snow Leopard and Leopard will be significant enough to make you NEED to switch right there and then either, so if you're just using this for the internet, chatting, and writing papers or whatever, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Not when I was there in Narita. It had the best foreign exchange. I did my research online and during that time everywhere else. It did not cost extra for exchange. Maybe in America, perhaps, but NOT Japan.
I was through NRT last month and they definitely were giving out about 8% less than the accepted value. If you compare their posted exchange rate to the actual market value at currency exchange places, it's basically always off by at least 5% in their favor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.