Back to school special?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Audrey313, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Audrey313 macrumors member

Hey there,

I've been planning to get the new MPB for school when the refresh came out. Currently, we are all still waiting and it's more than halfway through the semester so I figure I'll wait until the back to school special since they offer a free Apple product. I wanted to ask y'all what you *think* this upcoming back to school special will be. I've noticed that in the past it was only an iPod nano and it looks like last year they expanded it to a choice of a certain iPod nano, a certain classic iPod, or a certain iPod Touch. So...do you think it will be the same this year or if not, what would be your educated guess as to what they'll offer? Thanks on advance for your input!

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Free is free. Don't look in the gifted horse's mouth, or something.

They often give out a free printer after rebate, as well. It's worth the wait, IMO, unless you direly need the machine right away.

3. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Free kick in the butt?

We are talking about something thats what, 4-5 months away? Who knows? Does it matter? If it was nothing this year, would that make a difference? What if it was a free copy of Windows 7? Or a free copy of Norton anti-virus?

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

They'll probably have another $200 (or however much it was) rebate towards an iPod and $100 rebate if you buy a printer

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you honestly think that Apple will give away Windows or Norton with a Mac purchase, then I'll ask you to refrain from giving advice on this subject, because it's clearly wrong.

If you're just trying to be a jerk, I'll ask you to kindly take your sad, cynical commentary elsewhere.

In the end, it matters to the OP. If you don't have anything useful to contribute, then please leave the thread.

6. MacVibe macrumors regular

A free copy of Windows 7? And a free puppy? Or the usual ipod touch before they revamp them in the fall.

7. Audrey313 thread starter macrumors member

All I was doing was asking. Geez. I don't know why some people on here feel the need to be downright rude when it is completely uncalled for. I just don't get it. I'm fairly new to these forums and I don't know if I have seen a single thread where certain people are unnecessarily mean and rude in their responses. That is ridiculous.

FYI, I have an iPod nano that is older than dirt (and I am looking to replace it) so I am simply trying to figure it out and plan ahead. I hardly think that asking this warrants a disrespectful response. If you don't have anything nice or helpful to say, then just don't reply.

8. Audrey313 thread starter macrumors member

And thank you to those of you who responded respectfully. When I typed the last response, I had only seen the first two replies.

9. alectheking macrumors 6502a

4-5 months? Last year it was kicked off in May.

10. alectheking macrumors 6502a

I am also in your boat, I have an iPad coming, and i think that will hold me off just fine until may/june. By that time the macbook pro's will be updated, and the back to school program going so i'll take advantage of that and get a free ipod touch also. I'm almost positive that will be the case this year, and i'll just pay the difference to get a 64 gig.

11. runningman1228 macrumors newbie

iPad Credit??

It would be awesome if you could get a ~$200 credit toward an iPad, but I doubt that would happen this year, but just maybe given the fact that Apple really wants this product to change the industry by being available to everybody (as they said in the keynote/promo video). A large market would definitely be students buying the iPad for reading digital text books... If not this year maybe next year...

My more realistic guess would be the usual $200 credit toward the iPod of your choice, along with the $100 printer rebate they usually offer.

12. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

You mean like your post? LOL!

OK, not 4-5 months -- 3 months.

How about this: http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&o...d=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=apple+back+to+school+2010

or: http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

13. Aboo macrumors 6502a

I was really hoping for a discount on the iPad as well through the BTS promotion. However, the fact that the iPad is not currently available with educational, EPP or developer discounts (to me, a small 5 to 10% discount on the iPad for college students would be a nice gesture on Apple's part and would show that they are trying to get this in the hands of everyone) makes the possibility of iPad being a part of the BTS sale a little remote.