Back to School Student Sales and Best Buy

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Helljumper, May 31, 2010.

1. Helljumper macrumors member

My parents agreed to buy me a MBP but they said they'd rather buy it from Best Buy than an Apple Store because of "better financing." (I think this is a pretty stupid reason but I'm not gonna complain because I'm still thankful my parents are even getting me a MBP) My parents were at Best Buy today and they were told that the $100 education discount still applies at Best Buy.

My question is whether or not the $200 Ipod rebate still applies if I were to buy it at Best Buy. I'll call Best Buy tomorrow, or just go if I have the time, but I'm just curious if anyone can answer this now.

Also, my parents said that I'd need my college ID card to get any sort of education discount at Best Buy. Since I don't start college for another 4 months, I don't have my ID card yet and I won't have it for another month and a half. I don't want to wait this long and I know that at the Apple Store, they're fine if you just bring an acceptance letter. Would an acceptance letter be fine at Best Buy?

Again, I know it's probably kinda stupid to ask all this on here since it probably differs between the different Best Buys but I'm just curious if anyone has personal experiences regarding any of this.

2. XjeffX macrumors member

Each best buy is different and you'll have to have your transaction approved by a manager.

People on another forum I read have had luck getting the $200 iPod rebate taken off right there rather than having to send in a rebate (since it's only valid with Apple).

It's doubtful Best Buy has a real education discount policy so just bring your letter and I'm sure you'll be fine. If the sales rep says it's not possible, ask to speak to a manager or somebody who might be able to approve it.

3. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Ahh, Best Buy and the Apple Store. Pick your poison. :D

4. lcseds macrumors 6502a

I don't think you will get either the iPod or printer deal at BB. Resellers do not get the credit from Apple on those. The Apple store should will take you acceptance letter as proof of student status. BB? Who knows.

5. Stitch30 macrumors member

At Future Shop here in Canada, they do their own "back to school promotion". Usually, it starts in August. You can get either the iPod touch or a choice between 2 very interesting bundles. Last year they were giving a) photoshop elements 8, a printer, AirPort express or b) microsoft office, a printer, AirPort express.

I asked them if it gonna be the case this year and they said yes. I can't wait until August !!!

6. appleisgod macrumors regular

Bestbuy has to give you the free iPod along with the edu discount. Any promotion apple is running, they are required to match.

7. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

Actually, its not a stupid reason at all. Best Buy has 0% financing for however many months (always at least 6, often 24 or more) - that means you pay NO INTEREST and only the actual purchase amount if you pay it off within time, which I would assume is their goal since they're talking about better financing. Do they already have a BB credit card? That would seal the deal there for me, as I wouldn't want to open a new card just for one purchase. Trust me, those interest charges can add up crazy fast! :eek:

I don't think that's right... they're a reseller, not an Apple store. I do know that they'll match the discount, though - but I can't speak for the free iPod...

8. EasyJW macrumors member

seeing as best buy are a reseller, i don't think you'll get your free ipod touch with them, just persuade your parents to go with the applestore [​IMG]

9. Helljumper thread starter macrumors member

js81, thank you for explaining that. They do already have a Best Buy credit card IIRC so if it makes a lot of financial sense, I'm not going to try to convince them to go to the Apple Store instead. I'll just use my own money to get an Ipod Touch.

BTW, I called Best Buy and they said what most of you guys said. They do the $100 education discount but not the Ipod deal. They also said it's okay if I just bring an acceptance letter since I don't have my ID yet.

10. bluskale macrumors regular

are your parents going to save $200 in finance charges at bestbuy? (some quick calcs... it looks like 11-12 months of $1500 debt at 15% interest would cost you about $200) If your parents plan on paying it off before then you'll all save money by taking advantage of the ipod deal.

11. MacVibe macrumors regular

I recommend reading the fine print at Apple. I just got a macbook and ipod at the school store and I had to pay for both. I had to fill out a form, cut out the bar code from each product, and mail them into apple along with a receipt showing both items were purchased at the same time.

I don't think anyone gets a free ipod when they get a mac (although I did get a free printer.) I think you pay for both and then submit the paperwork for a refund/rebate (or whatever). When I registered for the rebate at apple.com I don't remember it excluding a purchase at Best Buy so I guess Apple doesn't care where you buy the items as long as they show up on the same receipt.

The store I bought from doesn't take american express which is too bad since that would have basically doubled the 1 year applecare automatically.

12. HuggyLowDown macrumors regular

HuggyLowDown

Each Best Buy has its own ways. It all depends on the manager, it's his/her choice whether you should get the rebate. I recently bought my 13" MacBook Pro at Best Buy on Saturday with the "Back To School Student Discount". But you'll have to do is see if they will let you have the iPod rebate. You must have a college ID also, or proof that you're in college. I noticed that if you're nice and don't rush the employees then they may not make you mail in the rebate, they'll do it for you. Haha that's what happened to me.

13. akkkmed macrumors 6502

Like everyone else stated, every Best Buy is different.

For me though...I'm typing on my MacBook Pro from Best Buy! I went there on yesterday. So here's how my story goes:

Call 1: "Do you price match Apple's education pricing on MBP's?" Guy: "No"
    Call 2: "Do you price match Apple's education pricing on MBP's?" Guy: "No"
    Call 3: "Can I please talk to the Apple representative"
    So I start talking to the rep. He says they definitely match education pricing. I asked about the iPod and printer rebates. He said he doesn't think they will do the iPod, but they do offer a $40 and $60 instant discount on some printers. I asked him to ask the manager about the iPod. He came back and said "good thing I asked! sure, we will match the iPod deal as well. No rebates or anything. You'll walk out of here with a free iPod Touch". He also said there was a sale going on where you get a free $25 iTunes card with any MB purchase.

Monday, I went to Best Buy right after they opened. The Apple rep wasn't there, nor was the manager he talked to. My sales guy had to talk to another manager. All in all, they gave me the $100 student discount, FREE iPod Touch (no rebates), and $40 off the printer I chose ($60 off others like mentioned before). Two downsides at Best Buy: Manager wouldn't let me use Reward Zone (this makes me mad because it just doesn't seem right. Now that I think about it, I can probably submit my receipt on the website and get the points!!!!!!) Also, they wouldn't give me the free iTunes card.

Since I already got what I would have gotten at the Apple store, I didn't cause too much of a fuss. But if the Apple rep and correct manager were there, I would have gotten even more, which would be awesome. Oh well. I love my MacBook Pro and that's the end of my story.

***EDIT: On the phone and in the store, each manager said they would not do financing. I forgot that's what you're looking to do. So I guess this depends on the store and manager as well.***
    Good luck!!!

14. BIS2 macrumors regular

Best Buy in Boston area?

Has anyone had any luck getting Best Buy to match the Apple BTS deal in the Boston (or New Hampshire) area? If so, at which store?

15. MortalDays macrumors regular

As of right now, I think Apple store is offering waaaay better deal than Best Buy. Considering Apple is offering you a education discounts for your Macbook AND Apple Care, on top of a FREE ipod touch 8GB, and a FREE $100 printer.

Apple Store all the way. :D

16. Vylen macrumors 65816

Yes, but again. Financing options. Apple Store does indeed have the option to pay monthly installments, but there's an insane amount of interest on that. Depending on the money/length, you can end up paying almost twice the normal price.

It's better in the long run to buy at Best Buy if they have Interest Free payments.

17. MortalDays macrumors regular

I wasn't thinking of that. I agree with you if you do decide to choose the financing option w/ Best Buy. :)

18. akkkmed macrumors 6502

You can buy Apple Care for a discounted price (and basically from anywhere) within the first year. So that doesn't matter.

Like I said above, I got mine at Best Buy. It's not only closer to me, but I didn't have to deal with mail in rebates for the iPod and printer.

19. gurm macrumors newbie

Yes, they price match....no problems

Best Buy matches Apple's back to school offer. I bought a mabook pro, priced at 1499 yesterday. I bought it for 1499 minus 100 (student discount) plus free 8 GB ipod touch, took us 10 mins, Just make sure you call them ahead and if sales guy says they don't do it, ask him/her to speak to their manager. I bought from Northgate BB in Seattle, no student IDs or anything, plain simple deal.
    Macbook is nice.
    Enjoy.....!

20. addijhaq macrumors newbie

Got shot down!!! need some sort of mac help here. haha

I just called my local BB

Yes, they will offer the $100 off...

NO, they will not give the 8gb Ipod because it's a "mail in rebate" from apple and they do not honor those types of deals...

this was over the phone.. i'm determined to get my ipod touch with my mac...

i'm going in there later today, any ideas as to how I should go about with a strong counterpoint?

thanks,
    addison

21. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Apples store card has some financing specials.

If you spend over 2500, you get 18 months no interest financing.

If you spend over 900 you get a year of no interest financing.

But make sure it is paid off before the end, as the interest will be back dated to the first day at ~23%. Insane.

22. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

Do any of the BB stores have the Hi-Res displays on the 15" MBP??