Back To School?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Holmes89, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Holmes89 macrumors regular

Holmes89

Do you think Apple will do a back to school special like they did last year? I know last year they updated the Macbook and on the same day started the back to school campaign where you buy a Macbook/ Macbook Pro and get a free iPod nano or money towards an iPod. I was wondering A.) if it will happen again this year and B.) Begin with the release of a new Apple update or product?

2. tringo macrumors regular

I would expect them to do it. I think they have done it at least 3 years in a row now.

3. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

How much do you get off of an iPod?

4. tringo macrumors regular

I think you get a free Nano, but you can use the value of that towards a discount on any other iPod.

5. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Kind of a head start wouldn't you say? The ground is still frozen and your thinking of the end of summer.

But chances are they will have it again. If it coincides with a Macbook update would be determined by when they update it.

6. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

7. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

I'm looking towards college haha so that's why I'm asking about this, does anyone know what size iPod Nano? is it the 4 gig or is it a higher one?

8. jfull15 macrumors 6502

Wow, really hellbent on this one ;) I'm sure it would be the 4gig, I say it's nice of them to give us anything free! But, like said above you can always use the discount and chip in an extra $50 to get the 8gig.

9. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Yeah because it's so exciting for me. It will be my first Mac and my first laptop and I want it so bad :D. I've decided on a black Macbook (or if they upgrade them the current one though I'm not sure if I want to buy a first gen product) of and I'm going to buy 4 gigs of RAM from NewEgg. I've decided on a Crumpler bag and I'm going to spend the extra $100 for a Classic iPod. It's very very exciting and I've been saving for a long time to be able to buy one so I think you guys may be able to understand why I'm so excited.

10. jfull15 macrumors 6502

OH YEAH! First mac :) I love getting a mac. My first one was so exciting as well. Good Luck and Congrats!

11. Finnxeon macrumors regular

Finnxeon

This may be a stupid question, but historically, around when does Apple start the Back to School deal?

I remember buying slightly too early last year, without even thinking about the back to school deal, mostly because my iPod was still functioning then. Now my iPod photo has tragically taken a fall and died. I have to buy a Macbook (not sure which yet) before I head off to school in the fall, and a free iPod sounds fantastic. I am just trying to get an idea, so i can plan accordingly this coming summer/fall.

12. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Usually around mid-to-late June, ending sometime in September.

13. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Yes, and it's $150 towards an iPod

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

It actually isn't just restricted to notebooks. iMacs and Mac Pros qualify as well (though most college students opt for the macbook for obvious reasons).
    It seems to be an ongoing "tradition" so I think it will most likely happen.
    Not necessarily. Last year the macbook pros saw an update with the sale's beginning, but that doesn't mean that it will always happen that way. The macbooks and macbook pros might see updates before the sale begins.
    It depends on which model Apple chooses to focus on that year. For example, last year it was based off of the 4GB nano (5 colors) so the rebate was for $200. In years past, it has been $150 as well, but again, it depends which model Apple is basing their "free" claim on.
    Although last year it did start early for some reason (June 5th).

OP, just stay tuned to MR and you'll know when it's starting on the very first day. :)
    On this point, I want to remind you OP that the rebate is only good for specific models of iPod. For example, the video nanos that came out last year were introduced while the sale was still ongoing. These nanos did not qualify for the rebate.

In addition, iPods priced below the rebate amount don't qualify.

Good luck at university. :) Where're you headed off to if you don't mind me asking?

15. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I am almost sure that they will, mostly to clear out inventory so they can release new iPods.

17. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Good for you. :)

Coincidentally, your school shares colors with mine. :p

What's your major going to be?

[back on topic]

Apple is teaming up with a lot of schools and incoming freshmen are getting free iPhones. Check this out; Pitt might be one of those schools. This might mean that you'll be able to just sell your iPod for cash (which is always welcome n'est-ce pas?).

18. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Mathematics and Computer Science double major, what college are you at?

What are the chances of that happening?

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I take offense! :p

<<<<<<<< ;)
    Edit:
    Not bad actually. Several schools have already started doing it (mostly in Texas though). It's worth checking out.

Also check out your school's computer store. They often have better deals than even Apple's iPod sale (freebies and even more discounted hardware).

Anyways, we've strayed enough. If you have more questions, feel free to ask (about Macs/iPods of course :p). :)

20. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

When should I buy then? If they do not update the Macbooks until later should I update right when the Back to school deal begins or wait for the next Macbook update? I'm afraid of two things, firstly that the update will happen too late in the summer and I won't be able to get it in time for college. The second being that if they do a major overhaul on the Macbooks (like a complete redesign) that it's always sketchy to buy right after a major update like that. What should I do? or is that a cross that bridge when you come to it type deal?

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Just buy when the macbooks get an update. They'll likely see one before summer begins, and you really don't *need* one until a little before school starts anyway.

22. Holmes89 thread starter macrumors regular

Holmes89

Haha well there is definitely a difference between want and need, but I want a laptop so bad, the lack of portability is killing me :p

23. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Patience is a virtue. ;) :)

Forget about the macbook and just enjoy being a senior in high school; the time will just fly by. :)