Back to school?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rajanr, May 29, 2008.

1. rajanr macrumors newbie

My present laptop died, and thus I need to get a new laptop pretty soon (internship work and stuff). The problem is as the MacBook Pro (I do quite a number of freelance design and video editing work, a MacBook doesn't cut it) was last updated in February, and thus now presents a some S$500-600 premium over a Dell XPS.

While I'm used to Premier, I much prefer to use FCP (or even Final Cut Express), but I'm not willing to pay the Mac premium at this point of time for just Mac OS X.

In other words, if I buy a laptop today, I will definitely get something along the lines of an XPS or a Vaio. But I'm willing to wait until August, when my school term starts, to get a new laptop. I'm willing to fix my present laptop (a generic, Malaysian laptop) to extend its life for another few months - but honestly, that machine drives me mad: the sooner it gets replace, the better for my sanity.

So what's the likelihood of an update within this time frame? If I remembered correctly, during the Back-to-school season, Apple didn't update either laptop or iPod offering until the end of the promotional period - would the same likely to happen again?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

You are incorrect. There is a good chance there will be an update before then. The promotion if it's back will apply with the new models of computers, but as you say not the ipods.

3. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

I don't know about updates, since Intel pushed back the release of their new chips, but if you can wait till August, just wait. If nothing happens get your dell or whatever.

AppleInsider has a source telling them their is a new back-to-school promotion, and its going to be the biggest EVER. So wait.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes there will be an update by then, however the price likely wont change. However they will be introducing the more powerful X4500 graphics chip into the macbook, which may well run Final Cut much better.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I would just like to wade in here and say I produced a movie for University which received a grade A last semester using Final Cut on a MacBook. It really does run just fine IMO.

6. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Really? do you have a link to this. interesting to see what they would do differently other than the usually discount and free ipod.

7. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

They'll credit you, for sure. They won't restrict you to one specific iPod. And you'll have to pay for it in the store, unless you live in a state where law prohibits mail in rebates.

9. rajanr thread starter macrumors newbie

No doubt MacBooks can edit videos, neiltc13. Just that I don't do it for studies (I'm a Econs & Pol Sci student) - rather, for free-lance work: where I can recuperate my, erm, investment. Plus, there's gaming...

(Honestly, though, 2 years of using a 13" screen - I don't think I can stomach it further.)