Back To Snow Leopard Q's

Discussion in 'macOS' started by b-rad g, Jul 28, 2011.

1. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

As much as I like Lion on the Air, I'm thinking of putting SL back on the Mini. The only feature I will really miss on the Mini is the Airdrop between it and the Air, but I will be gaining back FrontRow and my MagicJack home telephone.

My main question is if I do a clean install, can I use Migration Assistant from my Time Capsule? I don't want to do a full restore from Time Machine, but just want to grab bits and pieces manually.

Next question is I have 2 external HD's hooked up to the Mini, do I need to eject those before doing a clean install and just plug them back up when reinstall is done?

Thanks guys.

2. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I would just restore the whole OS from the Time Capsule. But I do think you can do a clean install and then use Migration Assistant also.

3. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

Well, I went ahead and tried to reinstall Snow Leopard and ran into a little trouble. Apparently the Lion Recovery Partition stayed when I thought I erased the HD. So after everything installed and I used Migration Assistant to get all my apps and important stuff of my Time Machine backup, I got to the Registration screen. Since I had already registered when it was new I bypassed, but then it got to the log in screen and wouldn't except my password so I had to restart.

This is where my problem was. It restarted and never got past the blue screen. I waited and waited but finally gave and tried a couple more restarts. After all that I am now reinstalling again, and I'm pretty sure I got rid of the Lion Recovery Partition this time. :crossing fingers: