Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
So--I've hooked back up the trusty G4 after I couldn't get my G5 to boot.

I've tried both the SATA ports and they aren't recognizing drives at all. First, it was just rail A that wasn't working, and now B isn't either.

I'm actually a little glad to be using the G4 again, and it actually holds up quite well by comparison to the later-model PowerMac. I opted for an SSD as the boot drive this time and surprising, it seems a lot faster than the WD 7200RPM SATA III drive that I was using previously.

Edit: Also, if anyone is interested, while I was configuring the G4 I decided to test my G5's OEM Radeon 9650 (256mb RAM, Dual-Link) and it worked automatically with no drivers necessary. After testing the 9650, I reinstalled the FireGL X3 after downloading the 4.5.7 drivers from ATI).

Last edited:

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Thank you guys. I think i might set this guy up with my 9600XT (an ADC card) and a Studio Display as a guest computer now that my G4 is back in business.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
Off, but plugged in. This happened to me once and after pressing the SMU reset button, it worked fine.

Isn't this still, a little dangerous? Maybe I'm over cautious, but when working with the inside of a Mac os PC I always make sure it's off and disconnected from the mains. Probably more to protect damage to the MOBO than myself, but I'm still hesitant nonetheless!

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Isn't this still, a little dangerous? Maybe I'm over cautious, but when working with the inside of a Mac os PC I always make sure it's off and disconnected from the mains. Probably more to protect damage to the MOBO than myself, but I'm still hesitant nonetheless!

Frankly, I might be wrong about that. I could have sworn I just had it plugged in and off. As long as you discharge yourself, you can't really damage the MOBO, unless you physically break it.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky

Repair manuals seem to be split on the issue, but I've seen many that suggest leaving the computer plugged in while servicing internal components. The reason is that when the computer is plugged in, the chassis is still connected to earth ground, which makes it easy to discharge any static built up on your hands by just touching any convenient metal part. You can also connect a wrist strap-if you are using one-to the chassis.

The only things I really unplug are AIOs with a CRT(i.e. iMac G3s, eMacs) since those have dangerous voltages inside and I don't want to give them an convenient earth ground through which they can discharge by way of my hand/body. Of course computers I also unplug computers where leaving them plugged in is a big inconvenience(iMac G4s). I generally leave towers plugged in.

Occasionally, I have a RAM slot start acting up in my work G5, and it will only see 6gb instead of the 10gb installed. Removing and re-installing the two 2gb modules always fixes the problem. One day, a co-worker saw me doing this and gave me a hard time for not unplugging the computer. I gave him the same explanation as above.

A day or two later, the same co-worker and I were talking about ordering WiFi card for a couple of the lab computers. Much to my surprise, he walked over to a turned on and running Dell, pulled the side panel, and yanked out a PCI Wi-Fi card from it without shutting it down :rolleyes: . I'm pretty sure the computer gave a BSOD immediately, as one would expect. I gave him a really hard time over that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.